Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XYZ Da Vinci cartridges are now refillable

"if you can't beat'em...."

I have a Da Vinci...you know, the printer everyone shuns because of the proprietary cartridges with the chip in the bottom to keep you from re-filling them? That one...

Anyway, they have given up on that idea, and you can now buy refillable filament spools and cartridges that can be opened and refilled, along with replacement chips
    to make them work.

I know, I know...baby steps though. It's better than having to go the workaround route, right?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Any links or more details?

You can already flash a cartridge top use any filament you want, how is this different?

I'm well aware of that. This is no different, beyond the fact that one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the printer is
    everyone griping they had to do that to refill the cartridges. Obviously XYZ hear the same complaints, and at least reacted to them
    in a favourable way instead of putting them on "ignore" and keeping on making chip controlled carried that couldn't be refilled without
    having to take the step of making or buying something to re-flash the card...
    It is a step forward for them...could have been more, but at least it's progress

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Any links or more details?

You can already flash a cartridge top use any filament you want, how is this different?
    sorry, forgot a link. Go to us.xyzprinting.com
    Select product, filament and there are a couple of videos talking about their refilling packages

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    OK......

Watched the video....

How the hell is this an improvement?!?!

It's still proprietary, but now I'm doing the assembly work for them!

Just another reason I'm flashing my chip soon. That way I can use whatever filament I want. Which means higher quality at less the cost, and I can actually use the ENTIRE spool, not be left with 15m of leftover filament when the chip says empty.

Ah...whatever.
    I didn't say it was a huge improvement; in fact I spelled out EXACTLY what they were doing, and then commented "baby steps"
    I don't see ANY reason why you would have to use only their filament to refill with, BTW. Since you're doing the "work for them", wind anything you want onto the spool!
    Flash your chip. do what ever blows your hair back. I see this as a slight betterment of the current process, and passed it on with appropriate caveats. No need for such a venomous response. My apologies....I won't waste my time passing things along next time...here, I was thinking this was a place for information exchange....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there's a printable dodad somewhere (probably thingiverse) that lets you use normal spools with an un chipped cartridge, but bypasse the filament in the cartridge. Something like that - I do remember it looked an easier way round the problem.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    The "venom" wasn't aimed at you YC, my apologies. XYZ is just a PIA.

It just pisses me off that they would introduce this now, after remotely bricking people's printers for reloading cartridges before.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    there's a printable dodad somewhere (probably thingiverse) that lets you use normal spools with an un chipped cartridge, but bypasse the filament in the cartridge. Something like that - I do remember it looked an easier way round the problem.
    You need a chipped cartridge in the machine to run, whether there's filament in it or not. The printer won't run unless there's a minimum amount of filament left per the chip, and even then I've found it to be 10%-20% under what's actually on the spool, creating even more waste. If you "flash" a chip, you can set the total amount remaining to 999m, and then it starts counting down from there, allowing you to use 3rd party filaments.

How does one go about "flashing" a chip for these? With the new cartridge design meant to be opened, it should be a pretty easy job to buy one or more if you want to keep multiple colors on hand and ready to go, wind whatever 3rd party filament you prefer onto them and use the cartridge system as is.
    As someone completely new to this world of 3D printing, what makes one type of filament superior to another? The few things I've printed so far have left me fairly impressed with the quality of finish, but as the saying goes, I don't know what I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast