Close

Disaster! A plastic mess

Well I kicked off a print and went to bed. The first layer was fine but something didn't seem right with the filament that was going down where the supports are supposed to be located. Woke up the next morning to find an unholy mess. The 80 gram part was just a few layers and the rest was gooped up in a ball all around the extruder. In the effort to free the machine I ended up destroying the wiring on the heating element. I have ordered new parts from China and hopefully that will get my machine back up and running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    had that when I first started printing. The print comes loose from the bed and the whole lot just moves around with the printhead getting blobby.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    You sir win the prize for the most failed print I have ever seen! sorry about the parts breaking, I really don't know what I would have done in that situation... perhaps heat it up again and see if I could pull it off while it was hot and gooey? I don't know...

what did it smell like lol?
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Senior Engineer
    It may not be that failed. It may have been a model of Jabba the Hut that's been decomposing for a year or two.

Haha. I should have just cut the wires and hung it on the wall as art.
    Originally I thought I could just reheat and it would just fall away. It was so thick that only a torch would have gotten it hot enough.
    Good news is that I learned a lot about my machine that day.