Close

Engineer

Raspberry PI and 3D Printing Merge - 3D Printed Computer

If you have read my other posts here, you know I am fascinated with 3D Printing, but something you probably do not know is I have almost as big a fascination with Raspberry PI. The DIY movement is taking off big time, eventually allowing us to make in our garage things that couldn't be made on billion dollar R&D budgets just 5-10 years ago. 3D printing and Raspberry Pi seem to be coming together allowing for even more freedom for us makers. Here is one example I ran across this morning:

This is basically a DIY laptop computer. Created by Nathan organ, from Austin, Texas, the internals are all via Raspberry PI, while the outside shell is 3D printed. Despite this system looking like something from the early 90's, it actually has some decent specs. It has a 10 hour battery life, 64 GB ssd memory, and is both wifi and bluetooth enabled.

Here is a look at the internals:

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    argh.. to make one or not to make one, I have all the bits and pieces needed... that looks cool. Shame for him his 3D printer let him down, the lifting on the corner of nearly all the pieces is evident. I am still getting my head around the pinouts on the Pi, Im an arduino man, so it's a little bit different