Close

3D Printed CounterBot Sterilizes Your Kitchen Countertops

It's really quite disgusting how many germs and bacteria are present on the average kitchen countertop. There are actually more dangers on the countertop then a typical toilet seat. Pretty scary, huh? One man named Jeff Kerr wants to change this. He has constructed the Counterbot, a 3D printed robotic device which sanitizes a kitchen counter via UV light. He has entered his design into the MakerBot/FirstBuild Countertop Challenge, and hopes to be one of the winners. Kerr tells us that he still has work to do to make it more automated and perhaps may eventually bring such a product to market. More details on the 3D printed Counterbot can be found here: http://3dprint.com/51207/counterbot-kitchen-sanitizer

Below is a picture of this 3D printable creation:

Engineer-in-Training
    YAY! Germophobia has finally reached the 3d printing space! /sarcasm

Seriously though, I get it germs can be bad for you but I'm definitely of the "let the kids eat dirt so they'll build some immunity" crowd

Technician
    Bad news, the exposure times for effective sanitation are longer than the half second that that thing passes over a spot. Automation is still a perfect application but I think they'll need to do some actual tests before finalizing the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post

Seriously though, I get it germs can be bad for you but I'm definitely of the "let the kids eat dirt so they'll build some immunity" crowd
    Yeah, I grew up eating stuff off the floor (and still occasionally do), so I can't say this is a product I'd use myself. However, for the germophobe, it is probably better than using toxic chemicals.
    Last edited by LoboCNC; 03-16-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    Bad news, the exposure times for effective sanitation are longer than the half second that that thing passes over a spot. Automation is still a perfect application but I think they'll need to do some actual tests before finalizing the programming.
    I agree. The motors I used for this first prototype move way faster than you'd really want. It should be barely crawling across the countertop. Which, of course, is why you want a robot doing this rather than waving a wand around by hand. (I also cannibalized the world's cheapest UVC sanitizer, so this is definitely just a "conceptual" prototype.) In final product, the UVC bulb would be tightly spec'd and lots of testing would be required.

Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    It's really quite disgusting how many germs and bacteria are present on the average kitchen countertop. There are actually more dangers on the countertop then a typical toilet seat. Pretty scary, huh? One man named Jeff Kerr wants to change this. He has constructed the Counterbot, a 3D printed robotic device which sanitizes a kitchen counter via UV light. He has entered his design into the MakerBot/FirstBuild Countertop Challenge, and hopes to be one of the winners. Kerr tells us that he still has work to do to make it more automated and perhaps may eventually bring such a product to market. More details on the 3D printed Counterbot can be found here: http://3dprint.com/51207/counterbot-kitchen-sanitizer

Below is a picture of this 3D printable creation:
    This 3D Counter bot device would be really beneficial for all families as this is a general problem which we all are facing .Will this 3D device would be helpful for Neolith which I have applied in my kitchen ?

The Counterbot should work fine on any smooth countertop surface. It will also be designed to work with tile counters with thin grout lines. It will take more experimenting to see how well it will work on counters with lumpy surfaces or really wide grout lines.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post

Me too. Your immune system is just like muscles. If you don't exercise it, it will atrophy and become useless. IMHO, hand sanitizer is the greatest threat to man's continued existence than any high level disaster could be.

As far as this bot goes. Apparently its not for normal people. Nobody I know has a counter that is so empty and devoid of stuff that the robot would have a place to move. Everybody I know has containers, toasters, knife blocks, etc. Seriously people. Spend your energy developing things than a $0.001 Clorox wipe can't do. Call me when it can lift up the toaster and clean under it. Until then, I think we will stick with...

Kills as much or more than the bot. Takes zero power. And produces useful plastic containers to put other stuff in or recyclable PP plastic to make more filament out of

Sure, the Counterbot is not a product for everyone, but there are a lot of fastidious people out there with uncluttered countertops - probably the same ones who are also worried about germs on their counters. (As to whether or not they are "normal" is another question.) Personally, I'd rather live with the germs than with the residue of Clorox Wipes getting on my food, but neither would be best.