Close

Z Resonance Issue

Hi, I am relatively new to 3d printing, but I have worked out that I have a Z Resonance issue.

Here is a picture of the issue
    http://i.imgur.com/ssVE0eG.jpg

I have seen a few people say that removing the bearing on the top of the z axis threaded rod fixes the issue. This is great, however I am not sure how to remove it without damaging the printer beyond my fixing.
    I would like to try to fix this myself before contacting flashforge directly.

Any help that this forum may provide would be greatly appreciated!

Technician
    i dont have a baring or stablising point on my 3d printer, yet i still suffer from this, i though about adding one to compensate

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    All flashforge printers, at least pros and creator x have a bearing at the top of the z rod. It is pretty easy to remove, easiest way is to remove the back, that gives you full access to the 4 bolts that hold the z stepper in the bottom. Remove these and the platform and z screw will drop out of the top support. Then you can dig the bearing out with a small screwdriver. Bolt things back up and put the back on and should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    All flashforge printers, at least pros and creator x have a bearing at the top of the z rod. It is pretty easy to remove, easiest way is to remove the back, that gives you full access to the 4 bolts that hold the z stepper in the bottom. Remove these and the platform and z screw will drop out of the top support. Then you can dig the bearing out with a small screwdriver. Bolt things back up and put the back on and should be good to go.
    I had just finished doing this when you posted this, I didn't remove the back, but i was still able to "drop the motor" and remove the bearing. It seems to have helped the issue, which is good since I lost the bearing!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    haha, ya, it is easier to get to the bolts with the back off. That wobble is very common if the z rod is fully captured. It also depends on how badly it is bent. If mine was bent that much I would try to replace it or have a new one sent if it is under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    haha, ya, it is easier to get to the bolts with the back off. That wobble is very common if the z rod is fully captured. It also depends on how badly it is bent. If mine was bent that much I would try to replace it or have a new one sent if it is under warranty.
    it wasn't under warrenty unfortunatly. I only had the 90 day warrenty and bought it in the end of december, so just out of warrenty. So far this seems to have fixed it. I will include a picture when the test is done printing.

Student
    Your pic looks like it may have a problem with a loose X belt! (it should be quite snug- almost pluck it like a guitar string)
    A Z axis wobble shouldn't affect a print like that, as the Z axis is on two (quite firm) linear bearings/shafts

My FFCx never had a bearing at the top of the Z rod, just a plastic mount - with lots of clearance.
    It did tend to wobble, dropped the Z stepper & machined a nylon bushing for the top..probably not necessary, but did it anyway..never affected anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Teledog View Post
    Your pic looks like it may have a problem with a loose X belt! (it should be quite snug- almost pluck it like a guitar string)
    A Z axis wobble shouldn't affect a print like that, as the Z axis is on two (quite firm) linear bearings/shafts

My FFCx never had a bearing at the top of the Z rod, just a plastic mount - with lots of clearance.
    It did tend to wobble, dropped the Z stepper & machined a nylon bushing for the top..probably not necessary, but did it anyway..never affected anything.
    My x belt is indeed tight, and removing the bearing on the top of the z axis threaded rod helped drastically.