Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse

Filament now brittle :(

I'm aware of the need to keep filament dry and contained with a desiccant pack preferably, but I haven't been able to get that together just yet. So, I bought a couple ABS spools from E-Sun, and have loved the way it prints. I haven't printed for a couple days now, and found that when a slight degree of pressure is put on the filament, it snaps like a twig. I've heard that some bake their filament. What are my options (if any) to give life back to my filament?!

That's odd? Typically ABS is much less brittle than PLA? If I have an unmarked spool, I just take the end and bend it over onto itself, if it turn white in the bend, it is ABS. If it breaks, it is PLA.

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse
    Yeah, this wasn't doing this when I first got it. There was actually some playability to it. I'm just wondering how to fix it, if possible.

I had the same thing happen. I went to Lowe,s and got a rubbermaid tub and a damprid refillable container. I also mounted a 60 watt light bulb in the tub and let it sit in there for about 24 hours. It worked well and now I keep it in that tub all the time whe I am not printing.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    It's imperative you store filament in low humidity storage bins. If you can afford vacuum pressure packaging your filament after each time of usage, presumably there's still a substantial amount left, that is the best as it keep dirt & locks out air.

Filament snapping like a twig will happen when exposed to elements of your home, office, school.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
    It's imperative you store filament in low humidity storage bins. If you can afford vacuum pressure packaging your filament after each time of usage, presumably there's still a substantial amount left, that is the best as it keep dirt & locks out air.

Filament snapping like a twig will happen when exposed to elements of your home, office, school.
    I wouldn't say necessarily imperative. I have had spools of ABS out in the open in the garage with lots of condensation and dust, a quick blast with an air compressor over a year later and it prints like new - and should never be brittle at any stage of it's life as John said. PLA on the other hand, I find brand new rolls out of the vacuum seal can be brittle, especially the no colour filament I got, its almost like raw spaghetti.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I wouldn't say necessarily imperative. I have had spools of ABS out in the open in the garage with lots of condensation and dust, a quick blast with an air compressor over a year later and it prints like new - and should never be brittle at any stage of it's life as John said. PLA on the other hand, I find brand new rolls out of the vacuum seal can be brittle, especially the no colour filament I got, its almost like raw spaghetti.
    Geoff, you're right. What I said meant for PLA & not necessarily ABS.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    This seems a bit odd. One would have to suggest that it is in part to do with the filament quality.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Actually, is the filament in sunlight ?

Abs is subject to uv breakdown. It's one reason outdoor things are often better made from pla, which isn't as susceptible to uv radiation.

Makes more sense than water.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Actually, is the filament in sunlight ?

Abs is subject to uv breakdown. It's one reason outdoor things are often better made from pla, which isn't as susceptible to uv radiation.

Makes more sense than water.
    I am testing this at the moment, I have 10 test pieces of filament outside on the back deck, they have been there for a day now, i'm going to leave them a few more weeks and then test them. 5 x PLA and 5 x ABS test pieces, all 5 metres each, enough to print a test cube from them all. I want to give them a good amount of time in the direct sunlight and condensation and see which one holds up the best, I will do a pretty detailed thread about it.

Already I can say, one of the PLA pieces has started to change. The clear Red PLA or crystal Red has gone a very pale while in some sections, it looks like moisture definately has gotten in there somewhere overnight. We are talking intense condensation tho ppl... I live in the country, it gets very cold overnight and very warm in the day.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast