Close

Banned

Solvents to clean PLA?

Does anyone know of a solvent that can clean PLA but not destroy it?

Technician
    Ehum, PLA is bio-degradable with glass transition starting at 60 degree. All kind of hot liquid is therefore not acceptable.

I would avise just to use cold watermixed with soap to clean it.

you should avoid acetone, PVC cleaner and stuff like that since those will only dissolve the PLA.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    Yes light mixture of liquid handsoap with water would be good 1/4 teaspoon for 2 cups of water works when I clean PLA filament.

PLA does not react to Acetone like the other styrene based plastics. The one solvent I know works with PLA that you can buy is MEK.

Staff Engineer
    MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is a very powerful and dangerous solvent. It seems like overkill to use it to clean PLA, even if it worked. But it probably would destroy it, and it will destroy your liver and brain as well. Use the soap and water, as the other people responding recommend. Here's a MSDS for MEK: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927358 . It's something best avoided unless absolutely required, and then approached with extreme caution and protective equipment.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Banned
    Yea I know MEK is corrosive death, I dont intend to use it. Will water damage the PLA? Will it accelerate the degredation process?