Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Engineer
    That "simple physics" being a "non-Newtonian fluid".

Hmm, wasn't so simple when I learned about it.

SLA printer is earliest technology, but still is not mature. Carbon 3D extremely fast, it's DLP not SLA, but it have itselffault. I think they belong to different zone.
    In fucture, they have their own market share.

Although I totally agree with you guys, maybe this would help with printing higher poly facets on STLs.
    You know, like how our printers can choke on smaller diameter circles that have a high facet count.
    I heard that happens because the motion planner chokes on the math...

Engineer-in-Training
    LambdaFF is right.

The limitating factor is NOT how fast you can move your steppers, but how fast you can melt and squeeze the plastic out of the nozzle. Melting takes time, and the faster you go the more friction you get and the more pressure you build up before the nozzle (to the point the hardware fails, bowden tubes springing loose, hobbed wheels grinding etc).

Increasing stepper speed may optimize the total printing time a little bit, increasing extrusion speed will do much and much more. At this point of technology, the extruder is the limiting factor, not the steppers.

Not when your machine motion and extruder are not fluidly moving below the limits of how fast the plastic can come out of the nozzle because your 8 bit processor is choking on the gcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    LambdaFF is right.

The limitating factor is NOT how fast you can move your steppers, but how fast you can melt and squeeze the plastic out of the nozzle. Melting takes time, and the faster you go the more friction you get and the more pressure you build up before the nozzle (to the point the hardware fails, bowden tubes springing loose, hobbed wheels grinding etc).

Increasing stepper speed may optimize the total printing time a little bit, increasing extrusion speed will do much and much more. At this point of technology, the extruder is the limiting factor, not the steppers.

Engineer-in-Training
    Not when your machine motion and extruder are not fluidly moving below the limits of how fast the plastic can come out of the nozzle because your 8 bit processor is choking on the gcode.

Which firmware/hardware combo are you using?

Engineer
    My thought was sst768 or 1200es are running on real computer cpu and they are still choking....

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    My thought was sst768 or 1200es are running on real computer cpu and they are still choking....
    They do not interpret Gcode.

sailfish 7.7 mega 2560..

Engineer-in-Training
    sailfish 7.7 mega 2560..
    If the firmware can't keep up with the required moves then I guess either a higher clocking micro is needed, or you could try lowering the precision of your stl model. It does not make sense to have a precision (and thus a lot of facets/short cords) that is far below what your printer can actually achieve. Depending on how the stl was generated this may not be an option and a faster micro may be your only recourse.

Another option is to speed up the calculations as a lot of square root calculations are used. By sacrificing a degree of precision in the calculations a speedup may be achieved. I am looking into that at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12