Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Card Issue

SD Card Issue

Gentlemen... Have problem with my Creator X able to see any new files I run thru RepG? Pulled several files off Thingiverse, ran thru RepG, sent files to "build to (supplied) SD card" in the x3g file format using my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit desktop machine. Checked in Explore that these newly files were on the SD card. Place SD card in my Creator X, can only see one of the new files, and all .x3g samples files. Tried using a brand new, formatted to FAT SD card. Checked Explore, can see files on new SD card, yet could not see any of these newly prepared files when new SD card is inserted in the Creator X machine. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a bunch,

Timmy C

Senior Engineer
    Do not build to SD, build to your computer then copy them to SD after they are built.

Check your file name formats, they are a bit odd sometimes depending on firmware and such things. Better sticking with 8.3 to be safe.

Hey Timmy. I initially had a problem with my SD card on my Creator Pro. I chalked it up to running everything on my Mac and possible compatibility issues. Then I did some research. I found another post on here that says that the file names on the card have to be within a certain limit and cannot exceed that character length. I also found that the printer can only read one or two SD card formats, FAT16 or FAT32. Since I found this information and after some experimentation I have been able to successfully use the included SD card as well as two other SD cards for printing and file transfer via ReplicatorG.

In a nutshell:

1. Keep your printing file names short, as short as possible while still being able to recall what that file is.
    2. Check to ensure that your SD card is in FAT16 or FAT 32 format
    3. Dummy check to ensure that the read/write switch on the side of the SD card is NOT in the lock position.
    4. If you are running OSX on your computer I recommend running a Virtual machine with windows so that you can get the correct format for the SD card.

Let me know if that helps.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you can actually have the nmaes as long as you like but it only displays the first 8 characters.
    Also try and avoid spaces.

I guess I should look at naming conventions on the Audrino ( probably spelt wrong) OS, to determine filename length and conventions. I'd have to say adding spaces or underscores would be an issue, as the Au-OS seems more like a simple DOS convention. I always go for short file names and no spaces, goes back to my DOS days!

Not sure what OSX means... is that an Apple OS?

Interestingly, windows 7 which is deep in the NTFS file format as one can get, only gives the format options NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT. exFAT is the newbie for extending the 4gb allocation table on flash drives, which I don't think would work here. That said, FAT32 being the only option, I have to see if this might not work with the Au-OS, I need to do the research on this.

One finds out quickly, that if the lock lever in in the locked position, you ain't writin' to nuthin'! I always check the SD card after copying the files to it to make sure they are on there.

I do have an XP machine, gonna look up the format options see if FAT16 is still available as a format option. Was thinking of loading RepG on my windows 8.1 laptop, see what happens?

What is 8.3 ? Is that a RepG version or a firmware version on the Creator X?

I'll get back in a couple days when I get more info.

Student
    Are you running Sailfish firmware? This firmware allows for support of higher capacity SD cards (>4 gb). Just a thought.....

http://jettyfirmware.yolasite.com/features.php

Ah.. No, just the firmware shipped with the machine and RepG. SD card shipped with machine is 4gb. The new card tried is 8gb. Does the Creator X firmware stop at 4gb?

Cheers,

Timmy C

Student
    When you start the printer you should see on the LCD what firmware.... it should say "Sailfish" if it is flashed with it. If it is not the printer will only recognize cards up to 2 gb (even though your card is 4 gb).

To upgrade to Sailfish, watch this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcyDT4muss

Whether you upgrade is up to you, but take a look at the release notes to determine if it is something you want for your printer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    cheers wicked - I'm thinking my problems with my right extruder and s3d could be firmware related.

I had a longer file name not show up the other day. Tracked it down to having a space in the name. Removed the space and it popped up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast