Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Artificial supports, not Gcode

Hey guys, do any of you know the best method for designing your own supports if you dont want to use slicer supports? I have aesthetic reasons for this and the supports I use although come off easily, still show some remnants and it can look ugly. What do you guys do?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I design with scketchup, So I use 0 thickness planes for supports if i need them in specific spots. Still requires a little sanding, and will occasionally confuse my slicer.

Banned
    Will a slicer make a zero thickness plane a one layer thick vertical wall as default? Or will it ignore it because it is less then the minimum width of a layer width?

Student
    Add taskman on Facebook Add taskman on Google+ Add taskman on Thingiverse
    I create my supports in MeshMixer

I use sketchup and create supports the same width as the extrusion width setting I have in Slic3r, or slightly smaller. The supports are printed a single extrusion wide and tend to come away with no sanding required. If necessary I can scrape any residue away cleanly with a knife.

Banned
    I just successfully created supports with a suitable gap and thickness, it took about 5 or 6 tries but i got it. Thanks guys

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I try and design models that don't need support. Haven't had to add any yet :-)

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
    Will a slicer make a zero thickness plane a one layer thick vertical wall as default? Or will it ignore it because it is less then the minimum width of a layer width?
    - Using Repetier-Host with the CuraEngine; You are correct, if the wall is not thicker than the extrusion width it will ignore pathing that material.

Banned
    I am using cura. It ignores zero widths. Bummer.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I try and design models that don't need support. Haven't had to add any yet :-)

Well Pbbbbbbbbst :P.

Sometimes I have to, as my printer is everything gets supports or nothing. So if there is only one little spot that needs it, then I'll design it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast