Close

Banned

3D printed Concrete House - Under 24 Hours

This is the technology of the future. Very soon, construction companies may begin using this technology to 3D Print concrete homes. Instead of laying cinder block one at a time, this machine, created by University of Southern California, Professor Behrokh Khoshnevis, can 3d print concrete to a scale which would easily be able to produce the outer shell of a full sized home.

They call this contour crafting, and if the technology works without a glitch, it can print an average sized home in 24 hours time. This sure beats the 2 weeks it usually takes a construction team to lay the cinder block for a home. Using a rail system, this will print the concrete in a way which is even stronger and safer than laying cinder blocks. Even though this video is a few years old, it certainly shows the technology at work. Just imagine where they likely are today in terms of advancements:

Student
    I like this idea. But it is still long way to go IMO. I would not step into this house AFAIK concrete is prone to cracking. That's why we use ferro-concrete. Iron has opposite mechanical properties to concrete and together they form stronger material. I don't see any metal in these printed walls.