Close

Boeing Additive Manufacturing Patent Revealed in Addition to Current Uses of the Tech

A recent patent filing has been publish in which Boeing is trying to protect a process of replacing aircraft parts via 3D printing. The patent would allow for parts to be fabricated with plasters, metals, metal alloys and plastics and quickly placed on an aircraft. Additionally Boeing has unveiled that there are now over 20,000 3d printed components on their aircraft, and a total of 300 different parts which span 10 different aircraft production programs. Currently all the parts of 3d printed with plastics, but as the patent explains new materials seem to be in the works. More details on this story can be found here: http://3dprint.com/49489/boeing-3d-print

Let's hear your thoughts on this story.... Below is a look at an image from the patent filing:

Technician
    Surprising considering how slow the the aviation industry is in adopting new technologies. I guess if they can prove equivalency to the old manufacturing process they would be in the clear.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    Surprising considering how slow the the aviation industry is in adopting new technologies. I guess if they can prove equivalency to the old manufacturing process they would be in the clear.
    Well, I am ok with them taking their time with new technologies. If your car breaks down, you pull over. If a plane breaks down, well, you got 30,000 feet of falling to think about whats going to happen. I am perfectly ok with them being overly cautious about latching onto new tech.