Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build volume :)

Build volume :)

So i posted on the hardware forum, but the traffic is low there, compared to general.
    Essentially, I am looking at something with at least a 10 x 10 x 10 build volumes, so right now im weighing the differences between the lulzbot taz and the printrbot metal plus.
    Are there any others out there that can print great quality prints, under 2500 or so with that build volume?
    Just curious if im missing another printer I should be evaluating.
    Thanks

Student
    Add taskman on Facebook Add taskman on Google+ Add taskman on Thingiverse
    How long can you wait before you purchase?
    What kind of materials do you want to use? PLA, ABS, Resin?

Some feedback about the Taz from someone on another forum
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/makerbot-users/$20taz/makerbot-users/E2FeZxB5sRY/xfwS0H0JWz8J
    "Take one look at the extruder on Taz 5 and it's a giant honking mass of printed parts, big old exposed gear and so forth.The frame is nothing more than a Prusa i3 is sheep's clothing."

Banned
    I just bought a plastic scribbler 2200 and it is 9x10x10

taskman. I dont disagree that it is a large extruder head, and yep, its a lot of printed plastic parts. You can look at that two ways.
    1. Its a lot of printed plastic parts, so if i wanted i could make my own.... YEP. true...
    2. Its open source and if a part breaks I can print my own.

I own a flashforge creator pro, and something broke, and I had to request it from them. Now their service is GREAT, so it wasnt an issue, but there are two sides to each story.

I wish FF or WAnhao or whatever made a 10x10x10 at least build volume and id buy one, in a heartbeat, but they dont. So im pretty well stuck with taz, printrbot, prusa etc.

Im actually strongly considering trying to prusa 12 i3v. Its a kit, but its cheap.. If i can get good quality prints out of it, it saves me 3x over the taz. If it doesnt work as I need it to, im out the difference in what I can sell it for. maybe 100$.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wanhao do make larger volume printers. Announced them the tail end of last year.

the 5s has build volume of: 295*195*575mm - 11.61x7.6x22.63 inches

5smini: 295 x 195 x 205 mm - 11.61x7.6x8 inches

I dont care for the narrow build in one direction... BUt more than that, they are pretty restrictive on types of material.
    and I will never buy another bowden extruder again. I want/need to print flexible materials, and there is just too much additional work to get them to print right on bowdens.

i cant believe how hard this decision is haha

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    how about a felix 3.0 ?
    looks like a decent print volume in the video someone just posted.

(255, 205, 235) mm, When printing where dual extrusion is required, the buildvolume reduces to 240mm. But when printing with a dual head and only using one of the two nozzles the x range is 255
    decent looking machine.

yeah, at its widest is about 10 inches.. then the narrow side around 8... im pretty sticky on at least 10 x 10 x 10, if not 12 x 12 x 12. I gotta say for the money, i may just grab a prusa kit, 12. i wish they had an all metal kit, id snatch that up in a heartbeat.

The cheapest 3D printers are simple models, like the $749 Printrbot Simple with Heated Bed or the $999 Cubify Cube 3 (see review). These printers use a process typically called filament deposition manufacturing (FDM). A plastic filament is melted and then deposited in thin layers that build up the model. There are two possible types of plastic: ABS, or an organic version known as PLA. Budget printers have a single nozzle for laying down the filament.

I bought the Metal Plus from Printrbot. Very happy with it so far. You have 25cm travel on all axis. Support is good and mostly metal parts (fan shroud is printed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast