Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best or Cheapest Specs for a 3D Printing Project

We have a school project and we're planning to use 3D printers.

What would you consider the best setup, at the most affordable price, to get us started. If you can include the software needed (license cost, ouch) that would be awesome. Or if it's possible to use an open source system that would save us some money, we would really appreciate it.

We're planning to document everything and keep a log of our mini school project.

Student

Good luck with Flashforge Creator

I've had great luck with my Flashforge Creator. It's dual extruder, and it came right out of the box with a couple of programs on the supplied SD card. I can truly say that I was printing my first part literally 15 minutes after opening. Super simple. I purchased a refurbished model directly from Flashforge USA. I use 123D Design for creating my models, and Makerware for translating my designs to the printer. Both are open source programs (for now) I've owned my unit for five months now with NO problems printing PLA, ABS and Ninjaflex. The Flashforge unit is Rock Solid and consistent, I run my unit daily/nightly.
    Last edited by plasticformer; 03-06-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Addition of content

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    We've had significant successes with our UP Mini 3D printer which starts at only $599 http://eezitec.com/collections/3dpri...oducts/up-mini

Student
    Add Joinc on Thingiverse
    I would agree with plasticformer except I would by the PowerSpec 3D Pro. This unit is a relabeled FF creator x pro for microcenter. It was on sale for $799.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/435491/3D_Pro

You will need to add a cooling fan for PLA since these units do not come with one stock. It is very easy to do. I would suggest printing with ABS until you install the fan. This unit prints ABS very well in the stock configuration.

There is a learning curve to all printers, expect to spend time with it and becoming the resident guru.

You should look at printrbot : fantastic support and they have education deals.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    You haven't given us any specs other than cost, so if that is the only factor, the Peachy Printer was supposed to be a sub $100 printer, last I read. Everything else should be open source.

But you should be up and running with a sub $500 setup easy these days.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also most printer/slicer software is opensource and free.

Even the flashforge (makerbot replicator dual clones) come with free software. Though you're limited to a couple of packages.
    Even the design software can be free if you use openscad and/or blender, tinkercad and a few others.

Essentially you're only costs are the printer and the filament.

The other thing to look at are kits.
    iprusa i3 kits are well below the $500 mark, delta kits can be had for $4-500
    You tend to get a larger build volume for your buck/pound with a kit. But you have to build it yourself.
    Which fora school project would add an extra dimension and skills :-)

Printrbots are good - but the cheap kit only has a 4x4x4 inch build volume. The iprusa i3 kit is 10x10x10 - and that's a pretty big volume.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Last I saw, the Davinci is down to $399, and at 8^3, not that bad considering....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Haven't heard much good about the davinci. Mixed reviews at best.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Ok, first I guess you should clarify "project". Is the project the printer, or something you want/need to print with one?

Next, I guess you should clarify if you MUST purchase a printer or you just need one to print something.

If you don't actually need a printer and/or this is a one-off thing, consider consulting or working with a local Makerspace/Hackerspace/TechShop/FabLab. They likely already have the printers, laser cutter and the expertise to use them. I am sure most of the shops will work with educational groups. If not free, then at a moderate cost.

In either event, 100% of the software can be leveraged using free and open source software already available.

Now, if you decide you must or need to have a printer, there are many opportunities out there to build your own. Many of the leading market printers are fully open source and open hardware. You can download plans and BOMs for many of the printers. You must then assemble the parts you sourced yourself. This can be labor and time restrictive if you are on a time constraint. Source yourself, kit, fully assembled, they are all going to run you hundreds to get up and running. Thats why I suggested you look into the local Makerspaces. Not only do they have the equipment (usually), they have people who know what they are doing and also know where to find parts and source materials. Most of them are on a budget so they know where to find what you need cheaply. They also may be able to source things in bulk which means cost savings.

If you can provide a few more details as far as what you think you need, the folks around here are a pretty knowledgeable and helpful lot. They just need info to help you with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast