Close

Replicator 2 has a thin extrusion stream suddenly

hello everyone! over the last couple days my replicator 2 has been acting oddly. it started off with a clicking sound accompanied by a irregular flow of melted plastic. I thought the filament was merely slipping so i took the assembly apart, cleaned the feed gear, tweaked the tension spring, and adjusted the operating temperature a bit but the problem persisted. Currently the problem has changed. It no longer clicks and stutters, but now the extruded stream of plastic is very thin and barely adheres to the build platform. I am reasonably sure that the nozzle is merely clogged so i ordered a few new ones but i am now afraid that the feeding gear or (god forbid) the stepper motor is going bad and needs to be replaced. Has anyone dealt with something like this before? If so, any advice would be appreciated.

Most likely that there is simply a clog in the nozzle impeding flow. Had my first blockage today and it wasn't difficult to clean. Removed the nozzle, heated it with a heat gun and then extracted a blob of ABS from inside. all good afterwards.

what did you use to extract it?

I just used some thin metal tweezers. I'd had the same clicking as you describe but I inspected the extruder and found no issues there but you'd be best advised to confirm that is clear too.

I had the clicking sound also during a clog. Supposedly a way of checking for a partial clog is if the stream wants to curl directly after exiting the nozzle. I have had 4 clogs now and I think they all had the clicking sound.