Close

how to print 1mm solid walls?

I have over 650 hours logged of running my Replicator 2 since last May but most of that is with solid or near solid objects. My current project is a 1:6 scale model of a fiberglass fairing that surrounds a bike I am building. The shell was modeled in Blender and is 1mm thick. When I print the fairing it looks perfect but it has two distinct shells that are barely connected. If I flex the print they may even separate.
    So my question is what settings do I use in Makerbot desktop to get a solid wall that is 1mm thick?

So far I have tried:
    100 Micron 0% fill 3 shells
    and
    100 Micron 15% fill 2 shells

Both appear to have the exact same results. I assume that with a thickness of 1mm fill does not matter?

Technician
    Hi,
    You have to take into consideration width of shell when printing walls.
    Usualy it is 0.4mm (nozzle is 0.4)
    Therefore you have your "gap" of 0.2mm.
    I would make test print of different wall ticknes and play with parameters in Custom profile.
    Something like this:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cstl
    To enable wider layer modify profile lke this:
    "layerWidthMaximum": 0.5,
    "layerWidthMinimum": 0.4,
    Number of shells = 1

This is working on my REP
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvs7u8qanh...93425.jpg?dl=0

Have fun...

Thanks for the reply Roberto.
    I did a couple of test prints with the shell setting at 1 and for the most part it fixed the issue.
    I did one with 100% fill and one with 0% fill and for the most part both prints were the same. Only separation was in the rounded corners on the bottom of the fairing.
    I'll try the layerwidth changes next as you suggested.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    another approach is to set the your extrusion width to 0.5mm and use 2 shells.

With a 0.4mm nozzle 0.4 is simply the minimum width you can use. Most slicers let you change that.

I revisited Roberto's suggestion and ended up with some very solid prints. The outer surface is a little rough but the wall widths came out nice and consistent. In almost a year I have only had one print failure due to a clog. This weekend I had 6 failures 4 of them were spool issues and two were power failures from the snow storm. Turns out at least 2 were due to a bit of plastic flashing on the inside of the spool that was catching the filament. I was afraid it was my altered profile but the last three prints are near perfect.