Close

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse

Stopping at various points in print (Dreamer)

I've noticed with a couple of larger prints, that the printer will freeze and just keep extruding. Its not at any specific point in the print. I've had it happen 60 layers in, and 400 layers in. The display doesn't change (still shows "stop" "Pause") but I can't select anything. The only way to stop it is shut it down. I'm running Simplify3D, but I'm not sure that's what's causing it. All I know is, if the print is complex or big, it crashes. Any ideas?

I've had this happen too. It happens when my computer is hooked to the dreamer via the USB cord, and I disconnect the computer after the printer starts to print. It also happens when it’s connected over WiFi and either I stop the connection manually or there is a disruption in the WiFi connection. The printer does not freeze right away after I disconnect the USB or WiFi, but it will continue to print for a random amount of time, and freeze at some point.

So I assume it has to do with breaking the connection between the computer and the printer. I solved this by starting the print by USB cable or WiFi. Canceling the print before it starts. Disconnecting the computer from the Dreamer so it is no longer connected by WiFi or cable. And starting the print from the Dreamers panel.

So basically I only have my computer hooked up to transmit the file. Then make sure my computer is fully disconnected before starting the print from the Dreamer itself.

And that fixed it?

Yep, have not had a print stop since.

How about an SD card?

Student
    Yes. Disconnect your computer and print right from the SD card whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersomeGuy View Post
    Yes. Disconnect your computer and print right from the SD card whenever possible.
    That's worked so far. I loaded it on the SD card, rather than using the USB. Its a shame you can't use the simpler tools, rather than something else that takes extra steps. Thanks for the help everyone!