Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

3D Systems Announced CubeJet - Full Color 3D Printer for under $5K

It doesn't go into details of how this printer works to utilize all these colors. I can't imagine it will just use standard filament. I'd like to see more. It's priced at under $5,000.

-Affordable, fast, full-color 3D printer for your business, shop or desktop
    -High-definition, photo-quality color for prosumers and consumers alike
    ROCK HILL, S.C., Jan. 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 3D Systems (NYSEDD) announced today a preview of its new CubeJet™ 3D printer. Priced under $5,000, this category-defining, desktop 3D printer delivers vibrant, full-color, high-resolution parts for a wide range of modeling and real-use products. Designed specifically for small businesses, independent entrepreneurs, hobbyists and educators, the CubeJet combines 3DS' powerful ColorJet Printing (CJP) technology with its award-winning, easy-to-use consumer Cube® printers' user experience to deliver the first truly affordable, full-color desktop 3D printing experience. The CubeJet will be on display for the first time at the 2014 International CES in Las Vegas, NV, January 7-10, 2014, in the 3DS booth 31424 LVCC South Hall 3.
    A photo accompanying this release is available athttp://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=22920
    "Leapfrogging full-color printing to the prosumer and consumer desktop in a way that's easy to own and simple to operate redefines the 'possible' for designers, educators, architects, marketers and artists," said Rajeev Kulkarni, Vice President, General Manager, Consumer Products, 3DS. "For the first time ever, everyone can access vibrant parts quickly, accurately and affordably."
    Whether you need full-color models or beautifully detailed assemblies that pass for finished products, the new CubeJet delivers. From striking white to photo-realistic pastels and bold, vibrant color, these parts communicate design intent like nothing else can, quickly and affordably. The CubeJet printer offers new levels of productivity with faster print mode options, improved user convenience with mobile connectivity using tablet computers and smartphones, and more powerful coloring and file preparation software tools.
    CubeJet printers are expected to commence commercial shipping during the second half of 2014.

I want to see how exactly it makes these prints in so many different colors. Can it print in multiple colors on one item?

There was someone demonstrating items made with some sort of inkjet 3D Printer that produces multiple color pieces, then they subjected the item to superglue to fuse it together. Had a stone like feel to it and looked very cool. I do not recall what they said the the machine was called.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    There was someone demonstrating items made with some sort of inkjet 3D Printer that produces multiple color pieces, then they subjected the item to superglue to fuse it together. Had a stone like feel to it and looked very cool. I do not recall what they said the the machine was called.
    Interesting concept. John, do you think this was the CubeJet? Seems a little too simple for a $5,000 printer.

From what I understand it will be a consumer model of the Projetr 4500

It will be able to print in multiple colors all at once. Rather than having to print separate pieces in different colors you will be able to print one item with as multiple colors on it similarly to a 2D Printer.

I would like to know too if the printer Cubejet can print multiple colors on one object?

I'm fairly certain it can. Not 100% positive but I'm fairly sure it will be able to print multiple colors.

The CubeJet is literally a desktop ZCorp. It's a smaller version of 3D Systems' x60 ColorJet line, which is what became of ZCorp's ZPrinters after 3D Systems acquired the company. It's like a mix of inkjet, SLA and SLS. Instead of liquid resin, it uses a powder that fuses after colored ink and UV light are applied. Once a layer is created, the bed is lowered slightly, new powder is added to the top, a blade is dragged across to level the powder and the next layer is then created.

I saw it at CES. Much bigger than I was expecting, like 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall by 2 and a half feet deep, although it was just a prototype, so it could change. I spoke to the product manager for about ten minutes -- he is a former ZCorp employee. This is an enormous leap forward in 3D printing technology for this price range. It is tens of thousands of dollars for the pro-class color versions. I believe this is why 3D Systems recently acquired the branch of Xerox that was formerly Tektronix -- x60 components were being made there and they wanted to cut supplier costs for a consumer push.

So basically the CubeJet is exacly the same X60 printers the only difference is the size and price?

Student
    Hello there.

What do you think? Will Cube Jet use expensive Visi Jet PLX cartridge? If yes, it will be quite expensive to use this machine...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast