Close

Bad surface texture on PLA print.

I have had a bad print with PLA, what is meant to be smooth has turned out very bumpy and rough. Any causes for this? any solutions?

As you can see up Groot's body, it is very rough and it is meant to be smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    try printing slower, it has fine/thin details.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
    try printing slower, it has fine/thin details.
    What speed would you recommend? I think it was on about 40mm/s extruding speed and 40mm/s travel can't remember though

Banned
    Thats a little fast for such a tight part like that. Depends on what type of printer you have. A high precision machine could do it. I would go down to 15.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
    Thats a little fast for such a tight part like that. Depends on what type of printer you have. A high precision machine could do it. I would go down to 15.
    That slow? Okay thanks!
    I have a CTC Dual Extruder, based off the Makerbot Replicator 2X

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    How are you getting on with the CTC 3d printer?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SamTheBuilder View Post
    That slow? Okay thanks!
    I have a CTC Dual Extruder, based off the Makerbot Replicator 2X
    When all else fails, print slow. It allows you to really see what is happening and diagnose failures. It is also the easiest first variable to remove from the equation because it is just a click of a button to implement. If it still happens, we can go from there. Hope it helps.

Great thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated.

It's my first printer and I've only had it a few weeks! It's been good so far, no problems with the printer itself just my settings that I have had to tweak. Like warping issues, extruder not hot enough, too fast etc.
    Dual extrusion I can't get to work though, gets very messy and when I researched it I found it's a bit of a gimmick? and near impossible to get a decent print?