Close

Senior Engineer

gcode viewer for 1 layer file

Not 3d printing but close.

Does anyone know a gcode viewer that can view this file, it is only one layer high. It is a triangle drawn in Inkscape and (I hope) it is the inner and outer of the lines of the triangle. I am trying to make (for example) a file to laser cut that will be one face of an electricity pylon, cut 4 and stick them together to make a model pylon to go on a model railway layout.

It would really help to visualise if I could see the thing from the gcode before I cut it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Engineer
    Apparently repetier host shows it OK.

It's not ideal but it will do unless someone has a better suggestion.

LinuxCNC shows it well but it's a monster application to install just for that.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Found this interesting and so went off in search of of a Gcode viewer. Tried to drop your file into a few online viewers, with no success. That's to say they accepted the file, but the results were blank. However, i did find this Basic CNC Viewer, through this site, which seems to work fine.

There must be several others on the list that work. I stopped here. Unfortunately for you perhaps, it's a Windowz program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by truly_bent; 02-22-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Senior Engineer
    Phew, good job I was sitting down when I read that. A Windo$e programme that works.

Repetier seems to do quite well but I wish I could colour select a difference for G0 and G1 moves. At the moment I have to step through the Gcode to see which line in the code is which line in the drawing and that is going to be difficult when I get to more complex grids.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't all slicers do this ?

Senior Engineer
    None that I could find other than the two mentioned in this thread

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    I found this info on a presentation that was on the web:
    To check before printing, there are g-code viewer programs like Pleasant3D (Mac) and a g-code viewer add-on for Blender. Also, Repetier Host has a built in g-code editor
    Also a g-code importer module for FreeCAD see this piece in Thingiverse.

Couldn't find a way to do this with KISSlicer or Slic3r.

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, the Freecad thing would be sweet but seems a bit buggy. It will not display one layer files at all and seems to get normal print files wrong. It is probably my Gcode that it doesn't like as some of the files have a G7 in that I added to Marlin.