Close

CubePro Trio support material in house project

Hi

I juts start using 3D printer and I'm struggle with support material... I noticed that its not easy to print something properly where is over 45 degrees or have many thin pillars. I seen that people cutting the object for few parts and glue them after that. I have small project (house) where I try to get a good result, but Im not sure If I will get a good result in this printer (because of limited possibilities) so I would be grateful if someone of you could check it and advice me how it would be best to cut it , to get good result
    Attached Files Attached Files

You will be hard pressed to get good detail out of those support beams. I would be tempted to print those separately, lying down for strength, and cut the model at the roof line. You'd end up with one part being the individual beams, another being the main body of the building up to the ceiling and the third the ceiling and above. From the scale of the STL, those beams are too small to get a reasonable print from their current orientation.

thx for answer 3dkarma.
    usually when I printing something I try to set the object at an angle of 45 degrees, and I also thought that the beams would be difficult/ too thin, but in generally it managed to print it, depends on an angle and support walls. Still is a riddle - how to slice it

Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    This sounds like a very good solution to your problem. It would also get rid of the distortion in the base of your model which, from the image, looks like its suffering from the effects of gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    You will be hard pressed to get good detail out of those support beams. I would be tempted to print those separately, lying down for strength, and cut the model at the roof line. You'd end up with one part being the individual beams, another being the main body of the building up to the ceiling and the third the ceiling and above. From the scale of the STL, those beams are too small to get a reasonable print from their current orientation.

what kind of software do you use to slice the object ? I tried to play with 3D Builder app, its quite impressive good, but maybe there is some better tool which help me to slice it properly ?

Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    The CubePro comes with its own in built Slicer software, To our knowledge you cannot bypass this. I believe people are attempting to translate the g-code files so that they can produce there own g-coded 3D printables but I am unsure as to whether this has been successfully achieved yet.

If you are not using a CubePro and so are able to pick you own slicer software then I would suggest using something like Slic3r.

If you need a bit of an introduction into the software involved in the 3D printing process then take a look at this brief guide we put together "The basics of 3D printing Software".

CubePro doesn't have to slice, only thing which you can do is rotate and scale. they have also own software Cubify Invent, but you cannot import .stl file... too bad, so I can not slice at all, only I can try in Slicer (but I just installed it and read User Manual, and I dont have clue how to slice it) or simple tool as 3D Builder (unfortunately I cannot mark what kind of part I would like to have split up), any advice ?

I believe that to import .STL files you could look at Cubify's Sculpt software. For manipulation and design of 3D models there is Cubify's Design Software. These two pieces of software complete 3D systems 3D printing range of software. The Cubify Sculpt software should allow you to design your model and then import it for export into a format for the CubePro.

Quote Originally Posted by aleksandra View Post
    what kind of software do you use to slice the object ? I tried to play with 3D Builder app, its quite impressive good, but maybe there is some better tool which help me to slice it properly ?
    I think, in this context, you might mean to cut the design into smaller parts for simpler printing. You could try NetFabb, which is free.