Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

What dissolves/glues ninjaflex & filaflex ?

reason being I've got a few short lengths that I'd quite like to glue together.

making jigs to cut at the same angle and glue cleanly are pretty straightforward.

But I need to use a solvent as the joint has to go through the extruder/hotend.

Any ideas ?
    Preferably solvents that are easy to get hold of and won't cause me to instantly sprout tumours :-)

Engineer
    nothing i have found. i have even used methylene chloride on it. nothing melts it the way abs/acetone deos. its rubber so it swells and gets soft and spongy but it cant be solvent bonded....atleast by anything i have found.

damn, I'd risk glue. But given the joint needs to go through the melting stretching process, I suspect I'd just end up jamming the extruder with hot glue or solid cyanoacrylate.

There's got to be away to join lots of little bits of filament.
    I've just acquired another couple different rubber filaments. At some point I'll have 8 lengths too short by themselves to make anything with.
    Got to be way to join them.
    Maybe a little heated tube..
    Hmm

Banned
    I also wondered how to do this. I would imagine using heat and nothing else would be the least prone to clogging since you arent introducing any new chemicals into the extruder. Just finding a way to do it will be the tricky part.

well cutting a diagonal on the end is pretty simple. just need a way of heating about a 10 mm length to about 240 and then getting it out of the thing it was heated in. This stuff sticks to just about everything lol

A cheap hotend with 2mm metal tube might do the job if I could run it off a pc psu. And then sand it to exact diameter
    Not sure how I'd get it at the right temp though.
    I don't really do electronics.

But there's a market for someone who can !

Engineer
    how about one of those soldering irons that holds a razor blade. a hot knife. heat the two ends to be joined at the same time. slide them off the razor blade on to each other. trim off the melted excess. just an idea....

that could work.
    Bought 10 metres of the new semi-flex from globalfsd this week. They actually sent me 3x3m(ish) lengths. Not the same thing at all.
    So intstead of ending up with one bit that's too short to use you get three. Which is a waste.

Rich rap made a post about it on his blog : he showed a tool he made to heat weld bits.

Since it expands when you heat, you need to do that in a tube-like enclosure. Depends on the hardware you have at hand.

There was an indiegogo about that as well but it seems it was a sham (FUSEclamp).

what's a rich rap ?

:-)

Should be somewhere in there : http://richrap.blogspot.fr/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast