Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to print myself?

Hi everyone,
    Have you seen this kind of dolls before? They are dolls of real people, and made by 3D printer!
    In the past, we can make cartoon images of ourselves. Just take a photo and edit it with software such as Photoshop or others. It’s only a 2D model and easy to do.
    However, a real-person doll is totally different from a photo, it’s very cute and exist in 3D world--the real world, so I can touch it, put it on my desk or other places, which can also be a good gift.
    Now I only have a Geeetech 3D printer, it can print most 3D objects. But how to do a whole body scanning, get and edit my own 3D model, then print myself?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (47.6 KB, 48 views)

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    A full body scanner can cost even moré than the actual printer, not an option un less you have a 3D print shop, just my opinion

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Have a look at these alternatives. Basically these construct a 3D point cloud from a series of photos or videos:
    - 123D Catch (or alternatives to)
    - My3DScanner
    - Visual SFM (video of)

Be prepared to do a lot of post mesh editing...

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    What about a 3D scanner like 3D systems Sense 3D scanner . It will cost you money but may save you a lot of time.

Some people ask me where they can get more information about my printer before.
    Here are the links:http://www.geeetech.com/acrylic-geee...kit-p-884.html
    http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.p...rusa_Mendel_I3

THX truly_bent ,
    The 1st and 2nd would be useful, but don't understand the 3rd.

you need a 3D scanner, dude.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    The options i listed above all do pretty much the same thing. The third option, Visual SFM, might be considered the "manual" method, while the others are more or less "automatic". As with most automatic processes, you have little or no control over the final outcome.

The Visual SFM "manual" method requires you to handle all the steps from start to finish, including extensive editing in Meshlab. Meshlab is a very powerful piece of software and well worth learning, but it has a near vertical learning curve. Let's be kind and just say it doesn't have an intuitive interface. The point is, however, that this manual method allows you to tweak every step along the way. Oh yeah, and you'll have to become somewhat proficient in Blender, and if that doesn't scare you off, not much will. I'm learning Blender (game engine) now, for a completely different process, and it's steep.

But, i'm a programmer and more used to dealing with frustrating pieces of software. Initially, i'd be inclined to try the more difficult manual route. Even so, the price of the Sense scanner looks almost too good to pass up, and the specs do look very very good. If the "automatic" processes of cloud creation can't give you what you need, you should probably skip the "manual" option and go directly to door #3 - the scanner.

A few hours with Meshlab and Blender and you'll probably see the light

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    The options i listed above all do pretty much the same thing. The third option, Visual SFM, might be considered the "manual" method, while the others are more or less "automatic". As with most automatic processes, you have little or no control over the final outcome.

The Visual SFM "manual" method requires you to handle all the steps from start to finish, including extensive editing in Meshlab. Meshlab is a very powerful piece of software and well worth learning, but it has a near vertical learning curve. Let's be kind and just say it doesn't have an intuitive interface. The point is, however, that this manual method allows you to tweak every step along the way. Oh yeah, and you'll have to become somewhat proficient in Blender, and if that doesn't scare you off, not much will. I'm learning Blender (game engine) now, for a completely different process, and it's steep.

But, i'm a programmer and more used to dealing with frustrating pieces of software. Initially, i'd be inclined to try the more difficult manual route. Even so, the price of the Sense scanner looks almost too good to pass up, and the specs do look very very good. If the "automatic" processes of cloud creation can't give you what you need, you should probably skip the "manual" option and go directly to door #3 - the scanner.

A few hours with Meshlab and Blender and you'll probably see the light
    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by wenganxiang; 02-17-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Follow rule good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast