Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Anyone have a Simplify3D profile for a 12" I3V they could share?

Been trying to get a profile made for my 12" I3V but I am missing something because my extruder is running way too slow and not putting down any material. I have the Hexagon Hotend with .40 nozzle and 3mm filament.

I have went through the settings about a dozen times and don't see any issues.

Thanks,
    Chadd

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    single or dual extruder ?

Technologist
    Am having the exact same problem as he 1.75mm .40 nozzle Single extruder for now am using PLA. I just can't seem to get it to work and extrude correctly. I have also looked threw setting quite many times. Also same printer i3v 12.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    For both of you, have you proven the problem is unique to Simplify3D? You've tried a different slicer and see the print come out fine? You're not giving enough information to know whether problems like improper nozzle gap at the glass, blocked nozzle, stripped filament, clogged hobbed bolt, binding hobbed bolt, large gear binding on the carriage wheel bolts, slipping small gear, or extruder motor drive problems etc can be ruled out.

Does the problem continue beyond the first layer or you always stop the print on the first layer? Have you tried increasing the amount of gap at the nozzle? If you think you have it set right, try setting the gap larger anyway as a test. The majority of problems with lacking extrusion on the first layer are caused by too small of a nozzle gap, regardless of slicer.

I don't have a settings file for the 12-inch, but I openly publish the day-to-day settings for my 8-inch printer in my build thread, organized as the settings appear in Simplify3D tab by tab. Those are available for comparison. There's only one minor area where build volume comes into play, and one other setting to address filament diameter. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post39620. Move down to the third code scroll box in the post.
    Last edited by printbus; 02-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    good point - have you tried slic3r and cura ?
    s3d does have a lot of not-terribly-obvious settings, that can make a lot of difference.
    Cura's a lot more user friendly.

Technologist
    Yes, I have try slic3r and it works great. It just seem when I try simplify3d. It seem like is not extruding the correct amount. Am probably missing something in the setting.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Yes, I have try slic3r and it works great. It just seem when I try simplify3d. It seem like is not extruding the correct amount. Am probably missing something in the setting.
    If the issues are unique to the first layer, bear in mind that there *are* differences in how Simplify3D approaches it. In Slic3r, you're likely using the MakerFarm INI files that set the first layer height to 0.35mm. Simplify3D doesn't have that explicit first layer height setting. It instead applies your normal layer height to the first layer. There is a first layer height adjustment setting that can be used to tweak it from there, and Simplify3D defaults to that being set to 90%.

Let's assume you adjust bed leveling for a nozzle clearance of 0.10mm. With Slic3r your first layer is being applied with a nozzle height = 0.1mm + 0.35mm, or 0.45mm. In comparison, for a 0.20mm layer height print, Simplify3D will start out at a first layer height of 0.1mm + (0.20mm * 0.9), or 0.28mm. Simplify3D will appear to be extruding less on the first layer because it likely is in order to compensate for the different thickness of that first layer.
    Last edited by printbus; 02-12-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Technologist
    Thanks printbus. I will follow what said.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    single or dual extruder ?
    Single extruder.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, slic3r extrudes just fine.

I redid my profile for S3D last night and ran a print. It did print and looks very good other than I still don't think it is extruding the correct amount. I have it set for 3 top and bottom layers and on the top layer there are voids, considering it printed 3 there shouldn't be any voids in the final layer.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    For both of you, have you proven the problem is unique to Simplify3D? You've tried a different slicer and see the print come out fine? You're not giving enough information to know whether problems like improper nozzle gap at the glass, blocked nozzle, stripped filament, clogged hobbed bolt, binding hobbed bolt, large gear binding on the carriage wheel bolts, slipping small gear, or extruder motor drive problems etc can be ruled out.

Does the problem continue beyond the first layer or you always stop the print on the first layer? Have you tried increasing the amount of gap at the nozzle? If you think you have it set right, try setting the gap larger anyway as a test. The majority of problems with lacking extrusion on the first layer are caused by too small of a nozzle gap, regardless of slicer.

I don't have a settings file for the 12-inch, but I openly publish the day-to-day settings for my 8-inch printer in my build thread, organized as the settings appear in Simplify3D tab by tab. Those are available for comparison. There's only one minor area where build volume comes into play, and one other setting to address filament diameter. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post39620. Move down to the third code scroll box in the post.
    Last edited by Chadd; 02-12-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast