Close

Thread: Hot End Wiggle

Hot End Wiggle

All,

I have taken note of some "wiggle" on the hot end.

Should I be using a spacer or something between the mounting plate and the hot end to hold it more firmly? I expect this must have some impact on print quality.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Hexagon? I've always felt mine fits pretty loose on the aluminum grooved plate. I used to try adding some kapton as fill in the channel between the hot end and grooved plate, but that's pretty hard to get consistent. On my last extruder build, I kept adding layers of wide kapton to the round end of the hot end, trimming it for the OD of the hot end and the filament hole. Took quite a few layers before I felt the hot end was held firmly. I'll likely print some spacer disks of different thicknesses and use one of those the next time I have the extruder all apart.

Kevin,

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. Mine seems pretty loose, I will experiment with printing some spacers and see what happens.

Technologist
    Mine is currently loose also. If you hold the heater and move it side to side it will move. Also hexagon.

Quote Originally Posted by N5QM View Post
    Kevin,

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. Mine seems pretty loose, I will experiment with printing some spacers and see what happens.

Technician
    Has anyone noticed any quality issues? Or are we just being proactive in attempting to fix this?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Personally, I was proactive starting with the initial build of my printer. I just figured there was no way that having a loose-fitting hot end would *improve* print quality.

Technician
    i had the same issue with my hexagon . for some reason my extruder seems to fit better if i flip the metal plate . so the grove will be facing down . i know its not the correct way to install it but hey.. it worked for me.

Engineer-in-Training
    I put a .015" plastic shim inbetween the hotend and the extruder base and it got rid of the wiggle. I cut the shim circular and put a hole in the center for the filament to feed through.

Guys, here are some "washers" to help. I made them in three thicknesses so you can see which works best for you.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:682001

Quote Originally Posted by pichuete View Post
    i had the same issue with my hexagon . for some reason my extruder seems to fit better if i flip the metal plate . so the grove will be facing down . i know its not the correct way to install it but hey.. it worked for me.
    I thought this was how it was supposed to fit?? o well no wiggle here