Close

Banned

Printers where the bed is your y axis motion.

I think I understand they this is done, but it just doesnt really click fully.

The bed is a relatively heavy object to move around, especially at higher print speeds, over 100 mm/s. The part is on the bed, and is going to go through accelerations and bounce around like a pendulum if it is a tall object, thousands of times. I find this perplexing, what exactly is the advantage of having your y-axis relative motion take place at the bed?

The advantage is cost. It is cheaper to build a printer with the bed as the y axis because it takes less construction material. Look at the printrbot simples, and then look at the ultimakers, there is a vast difference in the about of construction material used. A moving Y axis is not desirable though, at least in my opinion, because of the reasons that you stated.

Banned
    Man, I really want a makergear M2, but the bed is in motion and I really hate that. I dont know maybe its just in my head and that machine is well built enough that it isnt an issue.

I actually have a Makergear M2, which I bought before I really understood the whole moving bed Y axis thing. But I love the makergear M2. The reason I bought it was because it was the only printer that looked like it was built well. It is a very sturdy machine, and I have loved it since day one. The only negative about have a moving bed, is it does limit the speed a little bit, but it has never been much of a problem to me. It is a very sturdy machine, and it is built really well, I would recommend the M2 to anyone.

Engineer
    i have to agree with aprzy. i have one too. the build quality is great. i have had mine for a year and a half. its a true work horse. mine runs 16-20 hrs a day 7 days a week. i am so backed up with work now i am looking to get one or two more. the m2 just works. it prints clean, nothing quirky or delicate about it. i cant say i agree on the cost thing. that may apply in certain circumstances like the printerbot but once you open the door up to put very high quality components in a design like that then the cost savings goes out the window. there are many printers where the bed moves. is it the best design, maybe, maybe not. you never want very high accelerations with that design. you never want to run over 100mm sec anyway. over 100mm sec your electronics start 1/2 stepping because the processor isnt fast enough to send the commands. unless you have something like a smoothieboard.