Close

Student

do all ABS pellets work for 3d printing?

I know there are companies that sell pellets targeted at "home" 3d printer filament extruders.
    But the cost including shipping (to Persia) kind of beats the purpose for me for making my own filament from such pellets instead of buying. But I have managed to find some local sellers of ABS pellets, but of course they are not for 3d printing specifically.

So my question is what kind of "pure" (no colorant, agents) ABS pellets work for making filament for 3d printing in general? Or does the A, B and S ratio not make much difference to care and they all are not different in this regard?

I would assume since people are making their own filament extruders now, and even recycling plastic from their old electronics covers and even refrigerators into filament there should be some data gathered by now on whether some ABS types are no good for 3d printing or which are better.

The ABS pellets I have access to I think is produced locally in a factory in nearby city.
    Last edited by red; 02-11-2015 at 05:14 AM.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Thought this was an interesting question, worthy of a little digging. Turns out that finding information on specific content of A, B, and S ratios is not so easy to come by. Manufacturers likely see this as proprietary information and so don't seem to publish specific mixes. They're happy to tell you the properties of each type they manufacture though.

If you Google "Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene standards", you'll find a list of scholarly papers, some of which might actually be of some help. I'll let someone else wade through those though. You can also get papers directly from ISO (International Organization for Standardization), but they cost real money (ISO 2580-1:2002 and ISO 2580-2:2002).

There has to be an easier way...