Close

Student

PLA and Moisture

I am new to PLA (I printed my first object Saturday). I have heard of the concern of moisture absorption and the need to store it with desiccant. What about the filament hanging on the back of my printer? I print in the evenings and nighttime and the printer is off during the day. I do not unload the filament and store it away, I just leave it where it is. Is there a problem, since a single roll of filament may last for weeks? What do you do?

Steven

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    For ABS and PLA, weeks shouldn't be a problem unless you're in a REALLY humid place. Nylon and T-Glaze, you should store with desicant overnight.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I haven't had any issues that I know off.

I have had a bit of pla outside for the last few months. rain, snow, ice etc.
    So far can't see an issues with it.

And in fact for birdfeeders they recommend pla because abs is gradually broken down by ultraviolet sunlight and pla isn't.

The only filament I'm having real issues with is the laywood wood filament.
    It's that bloody brittle even with the reel and optimised stand I'm using it just snaps.
    I'll stick it in the dehydrator for a few hours and see if that helps.

Shame as it prints well and the stuff looks great. Just can't get it completea model without snapping. could be a moisture absorption issue.

But the ordinary pla seems fine.