Close

Are Experts Underestimating the 3D Printing Market?

3D printing has caught the attention of research firms intent on analyzing and forecasting the performance of high-growth markets. 2014 was certainly an impressive year for 3D printing, as the industry really started to take off across both consumer and industrial levels. Autodesk and HP are among the major corporations that have recently entered the playing field, which will have a lasting impact across all participants. Research firm Gartner estimated in October that 2014 would see 108,151 units of 3D printers sold, with that number expected to about double to 217,350 units in 2015. Brian Krassenstein here at 3DPrint.com, though, thinks that number is an underestimation. Significant reasons for further expected growth include 2015 seeing the shipments of pre-sold units launched in Kickstarter and Indiegogo, as well as competition heating up in the development of high speed additive manufacturing systems. Check out more of Brian's insights in the full article: http://3dprint.com/34560/2015-3d-printing-gartner/

Below is a photo of 3D Systems' high speed racetrack-like 3D printer:

Staff Engineer
    Holy crap that thing is the mothership...

As for the article, 2015 is the year when the first sub-$300 printers will hit store shelves (not just crowdfunding teasers). That ought to be cheap enough to be in the "birthday gift" budget for Middle-Class Americans. From there the market for home printers really starts to boom, even into the mid-$500 price range as people who realize the limitations of their "starter printer" decide to trade up.

Hi,

i tend to agree with you regarding 3d printers sells, but i am scared investments on crowdfunding platforms come from "hype", love and curiosity, rather than actual will to 3d print in the long term.

What I mean is that these sells are meaningful and will bring more sells only if these buyers do things with their printers and recommend them to their friends - which is barely the case today because people don't really know what to do with their printers. This is slowing down sells, and itis a really important data in the equation I think.

what do you think ?

Did anyone got in touch with some consumers buying a printer on kickstarter ?

jm

Staff Engineer
    In the long term, I see the big future being home filament extruders and the ability to shred old prints and recycle them into new prints more or less on a whim. Imagine for a moment if you could make some kind of centerpiece for a party, specifically for the one party, knowing you'll never have to store it or sell it to recoup the money you spent, because you made it out of an old thing you were tired of and can make it into a new thing as soon as the party is over if you want to. Even without having modeling skills to make truly original things, the ability to recycle and upcycle art and decor from the ever-growing databases of models online would be enough for most people to justify a few hundred dollars and a slight learning curve.

Well, most of us couldn't care less about that kind of thing, but the average housewife (or househusband, I'm open minded about that kind of thing) with an interior decorating itch would love such a freedom.

Personally, I struggle to make anything artistic, but I know folks who if they saw this stuff on store shelves (which is the only way they would find it, as they aren't at all inclined to keep up with tech news), would have a moment of zen just imagining the things they could do to their home with it.

Student
    Personally I think that there are a couple obstacles to be faced in order to bring 3d printing to consumers. First of all, the user-friendliness should be way better. 3d printing should be as easy and fast as 2d printing, and with the machines which have been introduced in 2014 and will be in 2015, with features like auto-calibration, auto-leveling, easy to use software it's evolving fast. Also the software to design 3d models has to be simplified so that the average person can create something in an easy way.

Probably the most important part is pricing. At this moment 3d printers are way too expensive and prices should go down to $200- $300 or even less for the average consumer to even consider buying such a machine.

Also there's the availabilty of materials. I think a lot of people don't really see the advantage of a device which can print low-quality plastic parts. The availability of materials for low-cost 3d printers has to be taken to another level. Also full-color printing like the new technology from Spectrom is a great step.

All and all when the industry can overcome these obstacles, and thanks to crowdfunding it's going really fast, I think consumers will embrace 3d printing in their home. Combine that with large companies like Ikea who will stimulate people printing their own parts the market will explode. Since there is so much innovation going on and low-cost 3d printers being introduced in 2015 it won't take 5 to 10 years, but more like 1 or 2 years before the average consumer wants to get involved in this technology.

We are multiple years away still from consumers embracing 3d printing in my opinion. You can tell from the way 3d printing stocks have topped out and finding no bottom for over a year now that the trend is actually going backwards for now if anything. I believe in 3d printing but it's going to take a while before the average person is printing objects at home. More opportunities for entrepreneurs in my opinion if this is the case.