Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Good point!..ill do that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Peter - You use 3mm filament, so I assume the extruder base is intended for that. You might note that in your Thingiverse listing. The 1.75mm E3Dv6 has a PTFE tube that ideally raises into the extruder base, and your design likely can't accommodate the larger diameter of that tube. The filament feed hole also won't be optimally placed for 1.75mm filament, but that isn't as significant of an issue.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    It's a shorter belt (188mm vs 200mm). This extruder also uses m3x50 screws and compression springs and 608 bearings. I could put together a kit if there is interest. I have belts and pulleys.
    I would be interested in one of these kits for the Itty Bitty Single as I am not ready to go with a dual extruder yet.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am getting skipping when I have my driver set to .3 volts. I get skipping unless I raise it up to .4 or higher. At that voltage, my stepper motor gets pretty hot. I have verified that there are no clogs. I am printing using 3mm filament, PLA, E3dv6 .4 nozzle.

I am wondering it the little nema14 hasn't got the muscle to push 3mm filament. I wonder if a larger idler gear and belt may help?

Engineer-in-Training
    I had another failed print and have went back to the stock extruder. I don't think I can get enough torque from the 14 to push 3mm filament through the hotend. I may try printing a larger idler gear or a smaller pinion to get some more torque.

That's the same reason why i went to the dual flex setup..mine kept skipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    I had another failed print and have went back to the stock extruder. I don't think I can get enough torque from the 14 to push 3mm filament through the hotend. I may try printing a larger idler gear or a smaller pinion to get some more torque.

I am getting skipping when I have my driver set to .3 volts. I get skipping unless I raise it up to .4 or higher. At that voltage, my stepper motor gets pretty hot. I have verified that there are no clogs. I am printing using 3mm filament, PLA, E3dv6 .4 nozzle.

I am wondering it the little nema14 hasn't got the muscle to push 3mm filament. I wonder if a larger idler gear and belt may help?
    What temperature are you using? On the.4mm hexagon, Colin recommends 225C for PLA, which I've been using with great success. Also, I noticed that there's a different temperature table for the E3Dv6 thermistor mentioned in the build guide.

Is the path through the extruder block clear? Is the block PLA or ABS? PLA is often a little tacky.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am printing at 210. At 220 I get a lot of strings. Yeah, I have changed the thermistor table in the firmware and checked the path. after going back to the stock extruder I still was having trouble and that got me thinking it may be the filament as that is the common element and I only had troubles with this filament. I measured it and it is 3.05 in diameter. I got it from Collin at Makerfarm. I never had trouble with the Esun filament I was using.

I wonder if the filament is to blame.

I am printing at 210. At 220 I get a lot of strings. Yeah, I have changed the thermistor table in the firmware and checked the path. after going back to the stock extruder I still was having trouble and that got me thinking it may be the filament as that is the common element and I only had troubles with this filament. I measured it and it is 3.05 in diameter. I got it from Collin at Makerfarm. I never had trouble with the Esun filament I was using.

I wonder if the filament is to blame.
    Don't know. 3.05 seems a little big. Let's see...PLA coefficient of thermal expansion is .0007, so a 70C rise over ambient is 3.05 + (3.05 * .0007 * 70) = 3.199. The E3Dv6 bore is 3.2mm, so that sounds like it's getting pretty close.

I'm not quite sure how the PLA really behaves once it gets up in the 90C range. It continues to swell, but it's past its glass transition temperature, so I'm not sure what happens.

You might try taming the stringing by tuning your retraction settings. I don't have any experience with the E3Dv6, so I'm not sure of the details.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234