Close

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse

New User seeking advice

I have tentatively decided on the Taz 4 or the possibly Ultimaker as my first 3d Printer. I had been looking at the Hyrel 3d for its ability to print non-filament materials like clay and Sugro. Gave up waiting on availability (1+year). So I have switched my choice to the Taz. Mainly for its build volume and reasonable print speed/quality as well as being both hardware and software open source. Its ability to take a multitude of filaments beyond ABS & PLA is also a serious advantage. The Ultimaker is 2nd in my choice list.

I posted a list of questions over on the Taz forums but really have not had any responses at all. That does not bode well for someone looking at handing over $2k to a company. Some searches for other information (mainly about recycling extruders) lead me here. I thought I would drop the question list here and see if I get any responses on them. I would like to get my printer ordered next week if possible.

These are aimed at the Taz or possibly Ultimaker and their accessories...

So, here come the noob questions...And if there is a guide or FAQ somewhere that covers a question, hey, links are appreciated too. I like to read up on stuff, I just need a nudge in the right direction.

1. Do yall think the Taz is the better machine? I am looking for accuracy, reliability and eventually build size. Ease of assembly, not really a concern. Reasonable ease of getting started but I don't need a Cube if you get my drift. I do Arduino programming if that helps

2. Until recently I had only heard of ABS and PLA filaments. I see there are quite a few new ones on the market now. Can someone explain the different ones (and their advantages/disadvantages) or point me toward a guide somewhere that does? I have seen sites with ABS, PLA, NinjaFlex, SemiFlex, T-glase, Taulman Bridge Nylon, Taulman 618 Nylon, Laybrick, LayWood, Natural PVA, HIPS, Polycarbonate. From other sites there is stuff like ColorFabb metals and PET/PET+. Then there is lots of crazy stuff like foam and gel as well as oddballs like PCTPE.

3. Are there fumes to worry about when printing? I have an air handling system for the 50w CO2 laser (obvious fumes there eh?) but its in the basement and I was looking at putting the Taz upstairs in a computer room. Wondering if thats a good idea or not.

4. I see a multitude of nozzles for the Taz. Is there documentation as to why to use one nozzle over another on particular builds? Is there a commonly bought nozzle that I should consider buying along with the Taz right out of the box?

5. Is there a dual head capable of ninja flex in both nozzles and ABS/PLA in both nozzles? I would rather not have to swap heads if I want to use 2 colors of ABS or 2 colors of flex or 1 abs and one flex. Not a deal breaker if its not a possibility for technical reasons.

6. I have seen reviews complaining about the mass of the Taz's head. Is that really a big deal?

7. Are there certain filaments that are good starters for learning techniques on without breaking the bank on scraps?

8. Does the surface the Taz sits on have to be absolutely level? I am assuming not but thought it a good question to ask.

9. Does anyone have any experience and knowledge on laser cutting/etching printed parts? Are there dangers involved? PVC is an absolute no-no (produces corrosive and hazardous gases). Any common filaments that are also known to be a bad idea to laser?

10. Are there any suggested accessories or spare parts I should get for the Taz right away when I order the Taz? I hate needing something and waiting on it to be shipped.

11. Lastly, is there any good software that I should expect to need? I own Modo though its an older version. Anything else I need to be looking at?

And since I am new to the hobby, anyone have doubts about doing business with makergeeks.com?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Wolfie, I ship Hyrel printers nearly every week. Lead time is now about four weeks.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    1. I filled out a Hyrel3D RFQ twice in 2 years and never got a response. Once for an E2+head, once for an E4.
    2. I would just rather click a "Buy Now" button and get on with it than filling out a silly quote request form.
    3. Already ordered and received a LulzBot Taz5. Delivered within 10 days of purchase. Days not weeks.

I am more of a buy it now guy. Once I decide what I want, I simply want to get on with it. I don't like dealing with companies who do the "Contact us for a price" or the request for quote system Hyrel employes. I just want to put it in a cart, send someone some money and have it shipped in a reasonable time frame.

Honestly I liked the look of the Hyrel over the Taz as well as the soft compound extruders yall had. But, well, I gave up waiting for replies. And now there are designs for that type of extruder out for the Taz so that leaves only looks which does nothing for the print. And the taz has a bigger build volume. I am not printing stuff that big but its nice to know I can if I need/want to. I was intrigued about the internal PC too. But again, a used laptop does just as good with the Taz.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Well, I'm glad that you are happy with the printer you got, and we wish you success with your prints.

I can't explain why your emails didn't go through, but I guarantee that they did not, because I check that email account every day. We don't have a "buy it now" button because we do a one-hour skype/teamviewer session with everyone who is interested, and another session before we ship.

-Davo