Close

New Powerspec Pro User Overhang Question

I am new to 3d Printing (2 weeks) and have purchased the powerspec pro 3d printer from Microcenter. I like the printer overall but I think the wingnuts leave a bit to be desired as they seem to slip and need to be replaced. I am having trouble with overhangs on my prints. I think the bed is level, I feel a bit of tension when passing a piece of paper under the heads. I am running this at a bed temp of 70, but have tried it at 65 and 68 as well. The extrusion temp is 200 but I have run it as low as 190 with similar results. Speed is 90. Resolution is 200 microns. Printed in PLA. Any idea on what I can do to get cleaner prints? Any help or direction would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by R51964; 02-04-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: fix case

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    way too fast speed.

slow it to 40 or 50 and print 2 at atime.
    basically you need to either cool the pla faster or add more time between layers and print the pla slower.

Just because it says you can print at 90 - doesn't mean it's a good idea.

My car speedo goes up to 140 mph, I rarely drive over 70 and I'm pretty sure I'd only hit 140 after driving over the edge of a very tall cliff :-)

Pla needs to harden between layers and when printing overhangs, needs to harden during layering as well.

The best thing you can do is to add active cooling - loads of threads on this, hell if you'd read any of the threads in this section you'd already know this and wouldn't have posted this thread anyway :-)

So you need to print:
    1) slower
    2) add fan and duct for active cooling
    3) print more than one thing at a time to give the layers time to cool
    4) not believe everything it says on the box :-)

The fastest I've printed is 80mms.
    And that's in a cold workshop, with active cooling and a pretty basic model.
    My normal printspeeds are between 50-70. Movement speed usually 80-100

I reduce print times with low infill and low resolutions.
    But I rarely print fancy models.

Student
    Slow down speeds and feeds? Some overhangs require support. I'm sure there are other threads on this deeper inside these forums

Thank you I will try that and see how it works out. After reading what was on here that was my gut feeling as well but just wanted verification as I am new to 3d Printing. I asked an "expert" where I purchased the printer and they told me that it needed to go at that speed, that I should print at a lower resolution and that the temp for the extruder and bed should be higher. I told them that I really think it should be slower and cooler, but they insisted. that is why I came to the real experts on this forum for help and confirmation.

Thank you again.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol - no worries.
    Glad to help.
    For cooling I use this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:350649
    with the mkI duct.

Not sure what bits you've got but I replaced my original nuts with m3 nuts and these printed knobs: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:350649
    makes life so much easier, particularly when levelling a hot bed.

Technician
    listen to CA i did and besides shorting out my cooling fan (my error) it worked a charm for the 3 prints i managed to get from it, and these are prints i tried before with no success, just waiting on a new fan now, i ordered 5 just in case.