Close

3D Systems to Announce 3D Scanner this week?

I've been hearing a lot from insiders that 3D Systems will be announcing a lot of cool stuff this week. I have a strong feeling we will see a consumer level 3D scanner from them, that is easy extremely easy to use.

It will be something that goes along with their Cubify printers and allows for seamless scan to print. Just a little hunch I have, but who knows....

It also wouldn't surprise me to see a Cubify 3D Printer, or even an all-in-one Cubify announced at CES. However, it wouldn't surprise me either if it is not. Either way it will be interesting to see what they have in store.

Engineer
    Well it looks like we got 2 new Cubify printers from 3D Systems today, the Cube 3 ad CubePro, however no scanner. I am actually surprised they haven't followed Makerbot into the 3D scanning realm. Maybe later this year they will.

I dont' think we will see a scanner. 3D Systems announced a partnership with Intel to make laptops and tablets 3D scanners via their 3D Cameras. Kinda makes buying a separate scanner pointless now.

Staff Engineer
    Actually, 3DSystems recently announced two different scanners: the Sense, which is based on the Primesense Carmine 1.09 sensor, and intended for the consumer market (it works best on human figures) and the high-end Capture scanner, which gets very good detail on smaller objects. The Capture is bundled with some of the mesh repair, reverse engineering and inspection software 3DS also sells, and is intended to make possible a scan-to-CAD workflow they think will revolutionize the design engineer's desktop. I'll be selling both systems, if you've got any questions about them.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com