Close

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    I am using ABS at 230 degrees.

To zero I adjust the endstop and zero the z axis. I then measure that is is touching the bed. If not, I then adjust the endstop and zero it again until it is touching the bed. I use pronterface to command the movements.

I totally gave up using proterface with mine. I use the SD card solely now and have had no headaches since.

Engineer-in-Training
    Are you still having to mess with your home position before every print? Did you ever upgrade your firmware or change the Z home axis feedrate?

Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    I am using ABS at 230 degrees.

To zero I adjust the endstop and zero the z axis. I then measure that is is touching the bed. If not, I then adjust the endstop and zero it again until it is touching the bed. I use pronterface to command the movements.

Engineer-in-Training
    Got that all sorted out. I replaced the endstop with a new micro switch and updated the firmware

Engineer-in-Training
    Got that all sorted out. I replaced the endstop with a new micro switch and updated the firmware

I am not sure, looks like those prints may be a bit too hot but I run ABS@ ~245-250 otherwise I don't get good layer adhesion so if those are at 230 I wouldn't think they would be hot. If you pm me your email I can send you Gcode of something I have sliced and you can try to print it. Could compare print to print that way.

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks! I will send you my email.

Engineer-in-Training
    Sent you some files.

Thanks! I will send you my email.

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks Chadd for the files. Been printing these parts left and right getting things dialed in. I think I am getting closer. I sent you this pic but I figured I would also post here.

The One thing I am finding is the balance of flow rate is tough! Should I be adjust the filament diameter and the multiplier? I have been doing both but it seems like they would both do the same thing and I am fighting myself. To set the multiplier I was printing a single walled box with a perimeter width of .6. I measured the result vs the called for .6 and did my adjustments there. I also measured the filament in multiple spots to get the diameter.

I have calibrated the steps on the extruder so that 50mm setting actually extrudes 50mm of filament. It seems like if I lower the filament diameter (material going into the machine) and lower the multiplier I am telling the machine to extrude less material twice.

I have successfully gotten my bed to correctly zero out on the z axis and have even begun to play with the ABL a bit. I am not happy with how the bottom layers are turning out in Slic3r and Cura seems to over squish. Both have similar settings as far as initial layer height is concerned.

I also tried to print a cube and the top layer had holes in it. This was printed with Cura. It was a misprint as I intended to print solid and forgot to change the infill. I figured I would jest let it run to see how it did. Not good as you can see.

Slic3r Bottom Layer. Stuck good, just has voids between extrusions.

Cura bottom layer. Similar settings, good squish. Chad suspects too squished. Lower the width or raise the initial later height perhaps? Ignore the funny lines, just marks from my glue stick.

Cura Print. Had a .8mm top and botom llayer height which I think wasn't enough with that level of infill.

Sold box test. From the look of it, I need to raise my extrusion multiplier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    Another common suggestion I get is that my print settings are too hot. Not sure how people can tell this (Shiny parts). I am printing the above at 215 degrees. Not sure as that seems low to me. I did shoot it with a non contact thermometer and it read low. Significantly lower than 214. I know this is a surface temp and not an internal temp but if I were printing too high I would think the external temp would have been hotter than 180.

Has anyone else temped their hotends? It would be nice to have something to compare it to. My thought is that the black from Colin is just a shiny material. What are some other brands to try out?

Engineer-in-Training
    I just leave the diameter set to nominal and adjust the flow rate multiplier for each roll of filament I use. So when I start a new roll I print the calibration cube at 100% infill and adjust the multiplier so that it has a flat top. Then I either make a profile for that roll or just write on the roll what the multiplier should be for that roll. For me it seems to work better that way.

Thanks Chadd for the files. Been printing these parts left and right getting things dialed in. I think I am getting closer. I sent you this pic but I figured I would also post here.

The One thing I am finding is the balance of flow rate is tough! Should I be adjust the filament diameter and the multiplier? I have been doing both but it seems like they would both do the same thing and I am fighting myself. To set the multiplier I was printing a single walled box with a perimeter width of .6. I measured the result vs the called for .6 and did my adjustments there. I also measured the filament in multiple spots to get the diameter.

I have calibrated the steps on the extruder so that 50mm setting actually extrudes 50mm of filament. It seems like if I lower the filament diameter (material going into the machine) and lower the multiplier I am telling the machine to extrude less material twice.

I have successfully gotten my bed to correctly zero out on the z axis and have even begun to play with the ABL a bit. I am not happy with how the bottom layers are turning out in Slic3r and Cura seems to over squish. Both have similar settings as far as initial layer height is concerned.

I also tried to print a cube and the top layer had holes in it. This was printed with Cura. It was a misprint as I intended to print solid and forgot to change the infill. I figured I would jest let it run to see how it did. Not good as you can see.

Slic3r Bottom Layer. Stuck good, just has voids between extrusions.

Cura bottom layer. Similar settings, good squish. Chad suspects too squished. Lower the width or raise the initial later height perhaps? Ignore the funny lines, just marks from my glue stick.

Cura Print. Had a .8mm top and botom llayer height which I think wasn't enough with that level of infill.

Sold box test. From the look of it, I need to raise my extrusion multiplier.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast