Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dxyz View Post
    Oh are you Sosa then? They just hating on you because they didnt think of it first. Haters gonna hate. But now you got to use the steam to power your dreams.

I would never think of stealing someones idea and then selling it for profit.It gives 3D printing a bad name and is immoral. But since this generation is all about getting something for free, then I guess its alright until you get something stolen from you.

Although those are some generic looking sharks, Katy Perry's lawyers are right.

Without the show, without Katy Perry nobody would have cared for those things in the first place.

Her team build it and she is the one who made it famous and brought it to the public thus holding the automatic “intellectual property” on it, regardless of how generic or dull it may seem.

So it is obvious that everybody who wants to use this popularity for his personal gain gets a cease and desist letter. She is the license holder so nobody except her is allowed to make “money” with it.

I don't know why so many people are struggling with this, if its not your idea / work don't sell it, unless you've asked the copyright holder for a license.

If you cannot get a license, build models from your own ideas and make it popular.

It's really that SIMPLE.
    Last edited by BodaciousAcquisition; 02-08-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    I would never think of stealing someones idea and then selling it for profit.It gives 3D printing a bad name and is immoral. But since this generation is all about getting something for free, then I guess its alright until you get something stolen from you.
    I see what you're point is about intellectual property. But with 3D printing at the moment everyone is cloning everything from left sharks to left testicles.

If he would have made it free it probably wouldnt have been an issue but that just goes to show you how greedy these fat cat music moguls are.

What about all those left shark mugs and keyrings on eBay?

Engineer
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:673620

My left shark remix :P
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Seeing as it's a shark, I'd assume without a specific copyright on the exact model of shark, there is no IP here.

Apple Computers doesn't own all apples in existence, just their copyrighted logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Seeing as it's a shark, I'd assume without a specific copyright on the exact model of shark, there is no IP here.

Apple Computers doesn't own all apples in existence, just their copyrighted logo.
    @ Marm

I don't think that is true, since the “Copyright Act of 1976” every work that is created after January 1, 1978 is automatically protected
    regardless of how generic it is, thus you don't need a special registration application to protect it. That doesn't mean that she holds
    the copyright on every shark known to mankind, but that one in particular.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well since Bassna's sharks don't have mouth's, are not blue, and can't dance, I see no resemblance to the sharks from the game. Therefore no copyright infringement.

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dxyz View Post
    I see what you're point is about intellectual property. But with 3D printing at the moment everyone is cloning everything from left sharks to left testicles.

If he would have made it free it probably wouldnt have been an issue but that just goes to show you how greedy these fat cat music moguls are.

What about all those left shark mugs and keyrings on eBay?
    If its for your personal use, then go ahead and do it. Once you add a price to it, it is thievery. Its a very simple concept.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    If its for your personal use, then go ahead and do it. Once you add a price to it, it is thievery. Its a very simple concept.
    So by that logic, I would not be aloud to sell my Lion model, because Katy perry featured a Lion in her performance, hindering anybody from doing anything with Lion model's (or shark) ever again for profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    So by that logic, I would not be aloud to sell my Lion model, because Katy perry featured a Lion in her performance, hindering anybody from doing anything with Lion model's (or shark) ever again for profit?
    @Bassna

It was said before,that she doesn't own the copyright on “every” shark, lion known to mankind, but the ones in that particular show.

Its about distinctiveness, the moment she showed it to the public she gained an automatic copyright, since the “Copyright Act of 1976”.

These laws are very reasonable, imagine you share some images or 3D models for free. You put a lot of effort into creating them, and other people just take them to make a profit and even have the audacity not to ask for permission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast