Close

Too big or too small?

I have a general question that I would like to get some feedback from MakerFarm users. I am looking to get an i3v kit and just can't figure out which size. I know it will either be the 10" or 12" but I can't make my mind up completely.

I have had (3) 3D printers up till now, each time I purchased one I new that there was nothing that I needed to make that was larger than the build dimensions, first the 100mm cube then the 150mm cube then the 200mm cube. At this point I know there is nothing that I currently wan to make that is larger than 250mm cubed, but I don't want a repeat of before wishing I had that extra 50mm. Likewise I don't want to spend on extra 10% for build volume that I will never need or on something that might be replaced in 12 months with the next latest and greatest.

So my question is in your opinion which is better too big or too small?

In case it matters I have been mostly printing prosthetic as an e-Nable volunteer and this is the main reason I am looking to upgrade my build volume (again).

as someone who has a 12" i can say it's nice to setup a huge platter and just let it print... that being said though 12" is hard to fill up most of the time... the flip side of that coin is if you go ahead and get the 12" the volume will be there when you need it.

Sniffle dont forget the price difference isn't much either from the 10 to the 12 version. I love my 12. It's definitely worth having the extra space.

Engineer
    I have the 12, Ive noticed that after adding Auto bed levelling and now dual extruders my actual build area seems to be shrinking lol.. im glad i didnt opt for the smaller machine

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    I have the 12, Ive noticed that after adding Auto bed levelling and now dual extruders my actual build area seems to be shrinking lol.. im glad i didnt opt for the smaller machine
    Do you consider the auto bed leveling feature a "must have"? I'm looking to buy soon as well and I'm also trying to figure out which size to get. Also, how does the ABL reduce print area?

abl doesnt reduce print area, it is reduced by having a 2nd hotend

if you have young kids or just dont have time to level the bed manually, yes ABL is a must have. it makes things much easier. everything needing to be perfectly level is no longer an issue

edit: the print area is also reduced by the binder clips that hold the glass to the print bed. micro clips are suggested if you you 3mm or thinner glass as they take up much less room on the bed than the small clips provided by colin

Engineer
    Getting ABL setup isnt a walk in the park, it take alot of messing around to get it tuned properly
    I dont have mine working 100% yet, its not reliable enough that I can just send it to print and leave
    I need to watch it like a hawk for the first 10 min. once its printed a few layers Im comfortable to leave

but I will say that when ABL is working as it should. its great, much less messing around then manually levelling the glass.
    its a must have in my book.

regarding reduced build area, I havent fully expanded my build area in the config file so it due to probe offsets. and that makes my workable print area smaller then 12x12
    minus the clips.. at max im like 10 3/4" x 10 3/4", having two hotends also makes things complicated with offsets for both hotends. you might loose an inch in width

Thanks for all of the feedback. I knew there wasn't much difference in the cost but if I didn't have to spend that additional 10% I could use it for other parts and accessories.

I hadn't considered a second extruder, but it would be nice to still have a huge build volume with dual extruders.

I think probably the biggest advantage of the large build volume is going to be the big plates. I hadn't thought about it much but on one of the hands I make on my Printrbot Simple Metal I probably lose between 1-2 hours waiting for things too heat up, cool down, replace tape, and all of the other things you have to do between prints, not to mention the time I lose not being right at my print when a print ends to start the next one. I think I will go with the 12" now I just need to get my wife on board with the idea.

I'm very much considering getting a makerfarm 12 But I have a couple questions if any of you would mind answering?

1. where do you get the auto bed leveling upgrade from? This would be my first 3d printer, and I'm still a little overwhelmed trying to absorb as much info as possible. I don't see anything that looks like auto bed leveling on the makerfarm website.

2. I assume printing at 50 microns there are more failures, how bad is it when printing at the finest resolution possible?

3. What other upgrades on the printer would be a must have?

Engineer
    1. to enable auto bed levelling, its not a kit, you need to read up, watch videos.. and follow threads on this forum to learn how to set itup.
    you will need to purchase a small servo and perhaps an endstop, you can print the rest of the parts needed. after thats it just some config in marlin to get it working

2. printing at .05 layer height wont lead to more failures (if your bed it at the right height) it will just lead to much longer print times.