Close

Flashforge Creator right extruder oozing filament

Ok, so I'm a total noob when it comes to 3D printing. Purchased the Flashforge Creator, set it up and leveled the print bed as per instructions. Loaded both the filament spools as instructed. Than began printing the test object located on the SD card. It is a small traffic cone. I can't think of anything more useless, but it is what it is. I was not sure wether it would print the object from the left extruder or the right, but after the print began it became clear it was printing from the left one, which is loaded with white ABS filament. That's fine. Printed a nice little useless cone perfectly. However, the right extruder which was loaded with red ABS, oozed the whole time ending up with a 1/2" hard red blob on the end of it when the print was finished. My initial thought was that the right extruder was too hot, however, it was heated to the default 230 Deg... same as the left one. So maybe temp is out of the picture??? i was using the ABS supplied with the unit. Any help is appreciated!!!

Radarlarry

Engineer-in-Training
    Unless you're printing with both nozzles you shouldn't be heating both. A hot nozzle will ooze, it's one of the major difficulties with multiple color/material prints.

Now, realizing that you're said this is the test piece off the SD card, I'm pretty sure that it SHOULD be a two color print which would explain the file having instructions to heat both nozzles. Sounds like your file is a bad one. Try a different copy of the same thing (you can probably get it on thingverse) and see if it prints with both nozzles. If it doesn't then there's something else going on but until you do that initial test there's no reason to worry about other issues yet.

Thanks! I did fail to mention that the right extruder was also oozing during the filament insertion process. I will look for a similar piece and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Unless you're printing with both nozzles you shouldn't be heating both. A hot nozzle will ooze, it's one of the major difficulties with multiple color/material prints.

Now, realizing that you're said this is the test piece off the SD card, I'm pretty sure that it SHOULD be a two color print which would explain the file having instructions to heat both nozzles. Sounds like your file is a bad one. Try a different copy of the same thing (you can probably get it on thingverse) and see if it prints with both nozzles. If it doesn't then there's something else going on but until you do that initial test there's no reason to worry about other issues yet.