Close

3D Printer says my OBJ file still has open faces

Hi There, New to 3D Printing

I created a model on SketchUp and went to Makerbot to have it printed. Unfortunately, nothing came out and was told that it was because my model still had open faces. I then tried other programs like MeshMixer, which was recommended to me by the guys at Makerbot but still, nothing comes out. I'm wondering if there is a program or a plugin to a program that can automatically detect and identify open faces in 3D models. I have tried countless times to go over the model but nothing seems to work and I am at a loss on how to find them

Regards

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Try Netfabb or Meshlab - both are free. Netfabb basic is easy to work with. Meshlab is more powerful, but has a steep learning curve. There are others out there as well.

Edit: Here's an online tutorial as well.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - If you want to post the file I can run it through Creo's import doctor for ya.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sketchup doesn't like working with solids and by default will only use faces.
    There is an add-in that exports as an stl (stereolithography) file. And presumably has a stab at making it a solid as well.

Most pre-processing programs are happier with stl's.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Get "solid inspector" plugin for Sketchup. It will identify all your Solid issues before you export to an STL.

I then use CADSpan to convert to an STL, I use the non-uploading to the cloud option, works fine for me.

Using just those two plugins, I can go right to my slicer without having to use any other software.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Get "solid inspector" plugin for Sketchup. It will identify all your Solid issues before you export to an STL.

I then use CADSpan to convert to an STL, I use the non-uploading to the cloud option, works fine for me.

Using just those two plugins, I can go right to my slicer without having to use any other software.
    Hi There,

Thank You everyone for the very helpful directions. Marm, especially - Solid Inspector was very helpful in identifying all the problems. Unfortunately, CADSpan has some problems with the latest version of SketchUp but they will release a new update soon.

In the mean time, Marm, what 3D Printer do you use? I have gone through nearly 60 iterations of my file through MakerBot's printer and problems persist. I am fearful that despite identifying all the problems - it will still not print.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with MakerBot-SketchUp problems?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    It's the relationship with Sketchup and the Slicer program. If solid inspector is coming back clean, then your object is manifold, and should print cleanly.

UNLESS.....

I have also found that if you have groups that share a not so common wall, solid inspector does not always report an error. The two groups each have their own face, but it appears to be a single face upon inspection. Remove the groups from your object and reform it into one solid piece. If you must keep your groups, edit one of them to not have a face against another. If it does, it will convert to an STL correctly, appear pre-proccessed in my slicer correctly, but when sliced, comes out in random blobs.

Thanks so much Marm!

Well, I don't have groups at all in my file so, I'm assuming its not the Solid Inspector problem?

Interesting...OK - because I even went to the MakerBot Supervisor and he said that SketchUp was made as an architect program so it inherently relies on faces/slices for presentations. Its not a 'real 3D solid Program' and will have problems and suggested I use 123D Design.

I've downloaded the free version, and imported the SketchUp OBJ file, converted it to STL using 123D so hopefully that would solve the problem.

I'm also hoping CADSpan will release the update soon so I can directly export my SKP file to STL.

Otherwise, I'm at at a loss on what to do...

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I have had few problems using it for 3d design, in fact, it's all I've used. It's nowhere near as powerful as other programs, but it's fast and easy.

Roll back your version of sketchup, they usually have older versions on the download page, get SU 2014, and install the cadspan and solid inspector program. You might be able to do a separate install, maybe not.

Also, post your sketchup file here, I'll take a look, along with everybody else who has offered to help.

A note about CadSpan, I rarely if ever use their cloud service, just the quick export. Rarely had issues with that.