Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IRC for makerfarm printers

anyone interested, i don't know that there is a large community, and there are several versions, but when you need/want help actual conversations vs a back and forth forum post is sometimes nice.

I made a channel on freenode ##MakerFarm

You don't have to install any special client etc, just go to webchat.freenode.net

once there, type in the username you would like to use in the "nickname:" field, and ##MakerFarm into the "Channels:" field.

"Auth to services" checkbox is not needed unless you have registered your email and username so that others can't impersonate you. If you wish to do so, you will need to do a little bit of research on nickserv and nickname regristration. It is quite simple to do and pretty quick just not necessary if you are just popping in to ask a question.

I'll do my best to stay on there, can't guarantee that i'll immediately respond but when i do i will be there as long as i am able to help. Some things I'm still learning but others i am getting pretty confident with :-)

and of course others are welcome to join as well.
    Last edited by sniffle; 01-22-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Engineer
    Thanks, you can access it easily using

http://webchat.freenode.net/

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    Nice idea. I would think it would be very helpful to those newer to makerfarm, but also. Anyone stuck.

Yeah i need to go through the procedure of setting up a bot to grant op status to people and it will reserve the room and save thing like topics etc. Its been a while ao it might take some time. I dont know how many people will go to it but its there and ill try to stay in it as much as i feasibly can

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    I think this is a cool idea sniffle.

The pros being instantaneous help for people who need it, further community building, and a better development environment for the dual extruder/ABL.

One large con I see with this is that there will be a documentation gap between issues brought up and solved on IRC vs ones that are tracked here for all to see. I'm unsure what others may think about this.

Engineer
    If it's a difficult problem, I'd suggest sending people back here to the forums for more discussion, eyes, and documentation for others to use.

definitely

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    ...One large con I see with this is that there will be a documentation gap between issues brought up and solved on IRC vs ones that are tracked here for all to see. I'm unsure what others may think about this.
    One thought is that the IRC can be powerful in directing people to the already existing information. The MakerFarm subforum is already extensive enough that there really aren't that many new issues to run into. There can only be so many stickies, and search engines only work as well as the input they are given. And once a thread gets beyond a page or two, I think people's interest in reading through all the details to find the one thing they are looking for in a long thread drops off.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    sniffle - might I suggest you edit post #1 to address how you configure the settings when you go to the link? I was initially put off since I didn't know what to do, and others may feel the same way. Do you check the auth to services box?

It would likely also be helpful to know how to configure holoIRC for it. That seemed to have even more setting boxes when I tried it, and didn't want to start guessing at what I needed to fill in and what I didn't. EDIT: I think it was AbuMaia who had holoIRC on it the other day.
    Last edited by printbus; 01-21-2015 at 10:55 AM.

I'll see what i can do today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast