Close

Question Removing ABS Slurry

So I have a box I am printing on my FF Pro with ABS, Glass, and ABS slurry. Print is 100% proper except the face that is on the bed when its done printing has a layer of ABS slurry on it. I can turn the print on a different side that would not cause a problem, but then need to add support and increases print time by around 5 hours. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Engineer-in-Training
    Use kapton tape or blue tape instead of slurry? You can also try glue stick but I was never able to get that to work properly on my printer.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Whenever I use slurry the part fuses to the slurry. When the part is removed the slurry also comes off the glass. Usually there is some residual slurry around the outside of where the part was on the glass and this can be scraped off with a single sided razor blade. Lately I have only been using glue stick on glass with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Whenever I use slurry the part fuses to the slurry. When the part is removed the slurry also comes off the glass. Usually there is some residual slurry around the outside of where the part was on the glass and this can be scraped off with a single sided razor blade. Lately I have only been using glue stick on glass with good results.
    . Yes, cleaning off the slurry on the glass is no issue. Its removing the slurry on the actual print job that is in question. Yet to try a vapor bath, but doubtful that will remove it.

Yes, kapton is always an option; which I have, but ABS slurry is much cheaper.

Engineer
    the idea is to use slurry that you made with the same plastic you are printing. you wont really get it to come off since your part is all abs thats melted to abs. you need the colors to all be the same if your going to see it.

Well I use white slurry so it doesnt really cause for any color issues...just that layer needs to be removed. I may have to add a few manual support legs to keep printing in the orientation I want to and then do a vapor bath.

Super Moderator
    Try some clear ABS.

In theory that will just remove the coloring aspect. The inconsistent "painted" layers of ABS slurry as well as the glossy look will still be there. I do need to order a roll of that color though. Been running FF as well as IC3D ABS with good luck. Any other top players?

Super Moderator
    I got some clear from Monoprice that is running well. I've had good luck with stuff from Microcenter also. Clear ABS isn't 100% clear, more like translucent.

There is no way around a flat glossy bottom of your print when using glass no matter what you use. That slurry layer is fused solid or should be. That said, I have mainly been using glue stick, but even then the bottom is a different texture than the rest of the build up layers. This is because of how the first layer gets smashed into the bottom surface.