Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lost ability to connect via USB

Strange issue today. I can't seem to connect to my printer via USB, either through Pronterface or the Arduino IDE...in pronterface I get the following

ERROR] Could not connect to /dev/tty.usbmodem1451 at baudrate 250000:
    Serial error: could not open port /dev/tty.usbmodem1451: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/tty.usbmodem1451'

In the Arduino IDE, I just can't select a USB port in Tools>Serial Port...there aren't any listed.

Tried on multiple computers with no luck...

Engineer
    What baud rate do you have set in your firmware? What computer operating system do you use?

I use Ubuntu on my computer, and it doesn't like the 250000 baud rate, so I use 115200 instead. The trick is your firmware and Pronterface and the Arduino IDE all have to be set to the same baud rate.

I haven't changed it so I'm assuming Marlin is using 250000.

As for trying a different one, not sure how to do that some Arduino can no longer connect...

I tried it on my Mac and a Windows XP computer, which were both working yesterday.

No other ideas? I tried contacting Colin, but he hasn't gotten back to me, which is abnormal for him...but he's human, so whatever.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by csader View Post
    No other ideas? I tried contacting Colin, but he hasn't gotten back to me, which is abnormal for him...but he's human, so whatever.
    Their web site indicates they're busy with inventory this week.

Well, apparently this is a rare issue among the MakerFarm community, as I'm surprised not to have any responses with solutions or guidance.

While I wait for Colin to respond to my email, I found this tutorial for potentially recovering a "bricked" Mega 2560: https://www.virtuabotix.com/how-to-c...eath-syndrome/

Unfortunately, the Arduino in the tutorial is the official Arduino board...ours are Taurino boards. The pin layout on the board is not quite the same as what's shown there for putting the 2560 into DFU mode (which would hopefully allow me to reset things).

Anybody happen to know what the solder pad layout is on our boards, and which ones correspond to the circled pads on the tutorial above?

Kind of running out of ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Their web site indicates they're busy with inventory this week.
    Oh? Are the machines not selling through at a good rate? Is there a lot of inventory that has to be handled?

A week for inventory isnt bad really. No telling what he keeps stocked. Thats a lot of stuff to count by hand with a small business.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Oh? Are the machines not selling through at a good rate? Is there a lot of inventory that has to be handled?
    It's also standard business practice to conduct a periodic physical inventory.

-----

csader - can you clarify whether you were at one point communicating with the printer fine? People have had issues getting the drivers set up initially, so that's one area of problems. After that, one has to make sure no more than one program is trying to connect to the board at the same time. Outside of those two areas, USB and MEGA2560 problems are rare.

Note that there are actually two processors on the MEGA2560 board. In addition to the ATMEGA2560 itself, another processor is dedicated to the USB interface. If I understand what the tutorial is doing, you need a successful connection between at least your computer and the USB processor. In your case you don't appear to have that, so I'd be doubtful on whether that procedure is going to work for you.

Have you tried obvious things like using a different cable and reloading device drivers? I'd even look into the USB connector on the MEGA2560 board to make sure nothing is stuck in there that shouldn't be.

...clarify whether you were at one point communicating with the printer fine? People have had issues getting the drivers set up initially, so that's one area of problems. After that, one has to make sure no more than one program is trying to connect to the board at the same time.
    Yep, was working great for weeks. All of a sudden stopped working. Well aware of the one program at a time thing, so I don't think this is the issue.

If I understand what the tutorial is doing, you need a successful connection between at least your computer and the USB processor. In your case you don't appear to have that, so I'd be doubtful on whether that procedure is going to work for you.
    This one's interesting. When I plug into my Windows PC, it connects intermittently, and shows "USB device has malfunctioned and cannot be recognized" or something to that effect. The "new hardware" ding sound happens every 10 seconds or so, like it's dropping the connection. I was hoping that this method would get me into DFU mode, which might stop the intermittent connection drops long enough to fix it...maybe I'm wrong.

Have you tried obvious things like using a different cable and reloading device drivers? I'd even look into the USB connector on the MEGA2560 board to make sure nothing is stuck in there that shouldn't be.
    Haven't tried a new cable. I'll do that and report back. I have reloaded device drivers, with no change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast