Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Final questions before pulling the plug and ordering!

I will be ordering the 12" i3v, 3mm hexagon head and the Graphics LCD.

From others that have built this kit, is there anything you would upgrade or swap-out from the original parts supplied?

Also, any recommendations for a CAD programme for designing pieces from scratch. I do some metalworking and use Solidworks for that, but was wondering if there was something not as "sophisticated" that is in general use.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
    From others that have built this kit, is there anything you would upgrade or swap-out from the original parts supplied?
    I have the 8" model but in general, if it is still shipped with the plastic tubing that joins the threaded rods to the Z motors, upgrade to metal rod couplers.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
    Also, any recommendations for a CAD programme for designing pieces from scratch. I do some metalworking and use Solidworks for that, but was wondering if there was something not as "sophisticated" that is in general use.

Definitely give Google SketchUp a try. It is great for simple models or any models that don't need many curves. Make sure to add the STL export plugin so you can slice your models. Usually the models come out with holes in them so you can run them through netfabb or https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net/index.php (or both) finish them up.

Thanks gmay3, I'll checkout both the couplers and the software.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    No problem at all ex-egll, if you have any questions about either just let me know.

A number (probably almost all) of us have upgraded the couplers soon afterwards so if you can add them to your Makerfarm order you might save yourself some shipping.

Engineer
    Don't get the couplers from MakerFarm. They have two screws which tighten or loosen a split through the coupler, which is how it clamps onto the motor shaft and the threaded rods. The problem is the threaded rods are just a bit smaller than the motor shaft, so you have to really crank down on the rod screw in order to get it to hold tight.

Instead look on Amazon for couplers that have set screws and no split, they'll hold better without fear of stripping out the screw or coupler.

Hey I would be super grateful if you could give me a link to one of these on amazon!
    I'm not 100% sure of the right size.

Thanks!

This one? I honestly dont know

New 5 x 5mm CNC Motor Jaw Shaft Coupler 5mm To 5mm Flexible Coupling # 07 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8WBRJS..._Y5YTub0FKS08N

dupe .......

sniffle those are the split collar ones. I like the two set screw ones like AbuMaia mentioned. I got mine from
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-Sha...-/321596188204

Thanks Abu Maia, tracked down a pair on e-bay. Hopefully I'll get past the "research" stage soon, and have the kit ordered.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast