Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hi, what persuaded me to go with the 12".... good question. I guess I was a little concerned that as I started to use the printer more and more, I might outgrow the 8" model, and the price difference between the two wasn't too hard to swallow and certainly less than buying a second printer later on. Plus Colin dispelled any concerns I had about rigidity in the larger models.

Graphical LCD.... what can I say, I like gadgets, plus I believe it would have its uses if a computer was not connected up to the printer e.g. SD card only

Rumba vs Rambo vs Ramps wasn't based on the extruders , Rumba will support more fans than the RAMPS which may well be useful, and I believe it has more "expandability" than RAMPS / Rambo. From a purely masochistic point of view, Rumba may be a little more difficult to tweak given that initially there will be a smaller community user base to draw from.

I am sure my decision was made for all the wrong reasons, but unless I have something totally wrong, I think I'll stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Hmmm.. I just got the default electronics and the 3mm Hexagon head. What did the graphical LCD and Rambo give you that the standard didn't?
    I don't think I will be needing 3 Extruders on my 12".

Please expound on what you found out that swayed you in that direction!

Thanks!

Cameron
    Last edited by ex-egll; 01-04-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
    Hi, what persuaded me to go with the 12".... good question. I guess I was a little concerned that as I started to use the printer more and more, I might outgrow the 8" model, and the price difference between the two wasn't too hard to swallow and certainly less than buying a second printer later on. Plus Colin dispelled any concerns I had about rigidity in the larger models.

Graphical LCD.... what can I say, I like gadgets, plus I believe it would have its uses if a computer was not connected up to the printer e.g. SD card only

Rumba vs Rambo vs Ramps wasn't based on the extruders , It will support more fans than the RAMPS which may well be useful, and I believe it has more "expandability" than RAMPS / Rumba. From a purely masochistic point of view, Rumba may be a little more difficult to tweak given that initially there will be a smaller community user base to draw from.

I am sure my decision was made for all the wrong reasons, but unless I have something totally wrong, I think I'll stick with it.
    just a heads up Rumba has more future proofing then Rambo
    i have Rambo on mine and had to do a few tricks to make it work with servos for ABL
    out side the servo thing it's a good control board very surprised it dose not support servos by default.
    easy to wire compared to RAMPS and Rumba 98% plug and play
    in fact the only cables you need to make on the 12in ver is extend extruder Stepper and Temp wires about 8in so they are not stressed

Whoops, I got my Rumbas and Rambos mixed up. I had opted for the Rumba, but my keyboard wanted the Rambo!!

Previous posts changed, sorry about that.
    Last edited by ex-egll; 01-04-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Hmmm.... I haven't researched the ABL stuff yet...... Can the ABL run off the RAMPS?
    That is definitely something I plan on adding sooner than later.
    I ordered the 12"er yesterday with the default electronics.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Hmmm.... I haven't researched the ABL stuff yet...... Can the ABL run off the RAMPS?
    That is definitely something I plan on adding sooner than later.
    I ordered the 12"er yesterday with the default electronics.
    Yes, a number of people here have RAMPS and ABL.

Can anybody point me to a user manual for the Rumba board, I have found one for Rambo but Rumba eludes me.

Can anybody point me to a user manual for the Rumba board, I have found one for Rambo but Rumba eludes me.
    Other than the info on the RUMBA page at the reprap wiki, I don't think there is one. Manuals typically aren't available for this stuff. There seems to be an assumption that you've already learned how to use the product or can figure it out by going over the schematics, which often are available.

Kind of figured that was the case, but I was encouraged when I found a manual for Rambo! In my seach I couldn't even find any schematics though, do you have a pointer to them please.

Thanks

Kind of figured that was the case, but I was encouraged when I found a manual for Rambo! In my seach I couldn't even find any schematics though, do you have a pointer to them please.
    http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA, and look under the Summary heading

Thanks, that'll teach me to disregard the summary in future!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast