Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'll give makerware a shot. I wasn't very fond of replicator g anyways.

Is there any reason to go with 2.4 over 3.4.1 for makerware?

Better question, will there ever be a good reason to run 3.4.1?

I don't know, I'm new to all of this and could only find 3.4.1 on makerbots website.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Makerware desktop is fine (3.4.1). There are some preview functions in Makerware that aren't in 2.4. If you are using Makerware you should install Profitweak. It gives you GUI access and profile management to every setting there is.

Next look up Sailfish Documentation and follow the instructions in there about printing 20x20mm x 10 solid calibration boxes. You can't really attempt to dial in any other settings until your filament density is calibrated.
    t

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Makerware desktop is fine (3.4.1). There are some preview functions in Makerware that aren't in 2.4. If you are using Makerware you should install Profitweak. It gives you GUI access and profile management to every setting there is.

Next look up Sailfish Documentation and follow the instructions in there about printing 20x20mm x 10 solid calibration boxes. You can't really attempt to dial in any other settings until your filament density is calibrated.
    t
    I'll give this a shot as soon as I am able to, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bodoo View Post
    Printing things with a large base has been no issue for me yet, but I cant seem to print things with a small base, even with a raft. I'm new to 3d printing, and I can't seem to findout why its doing this. Currently I'm printing at 50mm/s and 80mm/s travel. 230 extruder temp, 112 bed temp. I've tried faster movement, 80mm/s for both feed and travel. I tried playing with the bed temp as well, moving it up to 115 and 120, both with the same result.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_O...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_O...ew?usp=sharing

The extruder ends up catching the build up and pulling the print off the board.
    I used to have the exact same problem when doing really small detailed jobs, very similar footprint to the ones you show in those pictures. What has COMPLETELY solved the issue for me was ABS slurry--this video is what I used as a guide.

I think I spent like $5 on a huge jug of acetone at home depot and I used an empty nailpolish remover bottle lying around to make it in. A few months later and I haven't even made a dent in my supply. If you go to the hardware store pick up acetone brushes too, I use the brush to spread the slurry on my kapton print bed. Only downside is prints are more difficult to get off the print bed, but I guarantee you will never have the curling issue again.

Let me know if you have any questions. The video should cover it, but the article I got it from is really thorough too.

Wow I feel like an idiot, I completely misread your original post and thought you were having a sticking issue--your photos are a little ambiguous. Good news though is that I ALSO used to have that exact same problem, where I was getting a lot of buildup at the corners (especially the starting corner) that would get caught on the extruder and peel up the corners (the peeling was solved by the ABS slurry but not the buildup). I mostly solved the buildup problem by recalibrating my settings (specifically the filament diameter and feedstock multiplier settings) while printing a bunch of little calibration cubes to check improvements.

I have 1.75mm filament, and have the feedstock at .85 and the cube came out okay, but I still have a problem with buildup/edge curling on other prints. It's mostly where there is overhang, but doesn't need supports based on what people have said about the print.

I was having some curling issues as well and I lowered my platform temps down to 80C and used hairspray on the platform (stock platform with Kapton tape) and that did the trick. I was able to print off three prints with no curling. I did have an overhang issue on one print that was a corner bracket to hold a glass plate onto the build plate, it occurred right on the slotted hole for the bracket so I'm not sure if that's an extruder temp problem or something else.

BTW, I'm very new to all this and just got my printer 2 days ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast