Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

iV3 8" Build thread

Hello everyone!

I am new here on the forums, but I have just purchased the Makerfarm Prusa i3V 8". I did a TON of research and actually bought a printer from another maker, but after many MANY delays, I asked for a refund and purchased the Markerfarm kit.

I got some helpful advice from Rob here on the forums. He was very friendly and provided me a lot of information. Thank you again Rob.

I will be posting pics and possible troubles I might be having with my build, here in this thread. It is nice to finally be a part of the 3D printing community.

Thanks!
    Last edited by old man emu; 12-26-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Welcome to the Makerfarm family!

It appears that from many comments made in various places on this forum that you have purchased one of the better 3D printers. Better, not because its design is unique, nor that its components are anything out of the ordinary, but better because the manufacturer provides After Sales service on a personal level. I see that Rob has been of help to you already. You'll find that all of us here on the Makerfarm forum are happy to answer your questions and show you little tricks that will increase the pleasure you get from your printer.

Old Man Emu

Thanks for the reply OME!

I got my "your item has shipped" email yesterday!

My printer should arrive just in time for my birthday! I am considering asking my fiancee for one free day for assembly as a birthday gift. LOL! I think if I stayed focused and had one uninterrupted day, I could finish the assembly. Getting the printer dialed in....is another story.

Stay Tuned!

Technician
    I could not do it in day. Maybe get a little closer the 2nd time, but still not a day. I think I worked about 14 hours the first day on the i3v. Still had at least 8 more the next day.

So, I received my big brown box yesterday!

I am so excited to get started on this project.

Apparently, my fiancee planned some birthday stuff this weekend so the build will have to wait. However, here are some obligatory box opening photos. Cheers!

I have made a bit of progress on my printer over the last few days.

I sprayed a few coats of paint on the frame. I really like clough42's build so I decided to go with black as well. I chose a semi gloss as a nice balance between gloss and flat.

Last night I started sorting parts and getting them ready for assembly. Every Wednesday some friends and I get together to work on various projects and have a few beers. My printer will be my project for the next few coming weeks.

I didnt know if I should paint the hot bed or not because I didnt want the high tempuratures to mess with the paint. Does anyone know if it is safe to paint or not? Should I use a high temp paint?

Thanks!

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    put some type of insulation between the heater board and the wood base. I used regular spray paint and a piece of cork tile as the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    put some type of insulation between the heater board and the wood base. I used regular spray paint and a piece of cork tile as the insulation.
    Thanks for the tip TopJimmy! I will be sure to pick up some cork at the local store.

So, I am totally new to 3d printing and I feel like a total noob. I suppose everyone felt like I do at one time.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any threads that anyone can point me to that will teach me all of the basic terminology and what to do as soon as I get this printer assembled. I know there is a manual that came with my printer but are there any other guides out there? Markerfarm i3v for dummies?

Thanks!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ImADesignerd View Post
    ...I was wondering if there were any threads that anyone can point me to that will teach me all of the basic terminology and what to do as soon as I get this printer assembled. I know there is a manual that came with my printer but are there any other guides out there? Markerfarm i3v for dummies?
    For basics, this is a fairly good place to start - http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page. Note the navigation pane on the left. There's a glossary that'll help with terminology. The build a rep rap page actually does a pretty decent job of walking through 3D printing at a high level, providing links for more detail in many areas.

The MakerFarm i3v's are just a variation of the RepRap Prusa i3. You don't need to always find material specific to just MakerFarm.

Thanks printbus!

That link was VERY helpful. I feel like I have a much better grasp on terminology now as well as how everything is supposed to work together.

I will keep on reading everything I can!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast