Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prusa i3v Print error

I have printed at least 24 hours of printing successfully on the i3v 10". However, it is now causing and issue I don't understand. This is what the print looked like:
    20141223_204431_HDR.jpg

This has happened multiple times. This problem arose when I tried to print something rather big and after a few hours of printing when I got back I noticed it wasn't printing anymore. I thought the head was jammed and cleaned that up. The printer seems to extrude fine so I don't think that is the problem.

Looks like your nozzle is to close the the heat bed I like it to be .004" and i have also noted that after a few hours the nozzle clearance will get tighter and have to reset to .004"

Technologist
    I've had the same thing happen. I'm always amazed at how out of level the printer can become after a few prints.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Looks like your nozzle is to close the the heat bed I like it to be .004" and i have also noted that after a few hours the nozzle clearance will get tighter and have to reset to .004"
    Okay, so I totally recalibrate my printer and now this is what the first two layers look like.
    20141224_194536_HDR.jpg

Is this how light the first couple of layers look like? I could have sworn my prints are usually thicker layers.

Also, the bottom part is still spotty. Does that mean that that corner is too low and needs to be increased? There is also a couple of spotty areas on the top area that are blank.

Is it possible it is the filament?

Technologist
    It could possibly be the filament. We're did you bought from.

Makerfarm. But there black PLA filament was crap so I am starting to get suspicious of there white filament.

Technician
    Maybe some more questions. Did you check the clearance (leveling) of the bed at locations near each corner? I use very thin paper and go for just a little drag on it. I also print a skirt like you did and if it does not look right, I stop the print right there and adjust. In your picture, if that is a two pass skirt, I think you are too low.

Also, you haven't said anything about print temperatures and other settings (speed, etc.). I use a hollow cube which is two layers thick on the edge to check new filament. As it prints up, I adjust temperature and flow rate to find a happy place. It seems that it changes sometimes from one filament spool to another.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermind42 View Post
    Makerfarm. But there black PLA filament was crap so I am starting to get suspicious of there white filament.
    I got a bad roll of black from Makerfarm as well. Colin replaced it free for me. I have not any problems with any of the other colors, including the white.

I do the same clearance level checking. The paper I use is 0.101 mm thick and the paper just dragged.

I print 3 skirts just to get the ink going. I have been using this filament for quite some time at 80 degrees for the heat bed and 185 for the extruder. I think that is the set suggestion by makerfarm where I got the printer. I have no clue how to change the flow rate, I tried doing it on repetier but I don't think it worked.

Technician
    I have printed PLA that low and as high as 220. I tend to run higher with the E3d. You can adjust flow in the slicing programm or on the fly with LCD. Also, make sure you are not dragging the filament. I had problems with filament drag, both from spool turning effort and as the spool got towards the tighter winds...from that.Things aren't always obvious and it does take some time to figure it out. You might also want to design a hollow cube as I described above. It helped me sort out some things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast