Close

Makerbot replicator 2x build plate heating issue

Hey folks,

My uncle, whose an architect, recently bought a makerbot replicator 2x which I had to set up. After a couple of tries I was able to print the models provided with the printer without issues. However, when I wanted to pursue the testing with models downloaded from thingiverse I met an issue with the build plate. It wasn't heating at all and my prints ended messed up. Even when I pre-heated the plate, the temperature dropped during the print. The extruders were kept to the proper temperature but not the build plate. I insist that it happens only with the downloaded models and not with thoses provided with the printer. It is therefore unlikely that it has anything to deal with a hardware problem.

I guess it has something to do with the files which aren't giving proper temperature instructions to the printer, but I only have very superficial knowledge about 3d printing and I don't know how I could fix this. If anyone has had the same problem and was able to fix it or even know if it's due to the file or simply printer settings, I'd be glad to know about it!

Thanks for the help

Student
    If you download files from Thingiverse, they are usually in an *.stl format. You then take those files and bring them into Makerware software that creates the *.x3g file for printing. When you are creating these *.x3g files, you have the opportunity to set the build plate temperature as well as other settings. I don't think the downloaded files are the problem. I also have Makerbot Replicator 2X and had issues with the build plate. Makerbot had to send me a new one due to problems.

Thank you for the answer, I was able to figure that out however. Makerware was on the replicator 2 by default, and I hadn't set it on the makerbot replicator 2x. Hence the build plate not heating properly and ijts size being wrong.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Anunbearablebear View Post
    Thank you for the answer, I was able to figure that out however. Makerware was on the replicator 2 by default, and I hadn't set it on the makerbot replicator 2x. Hence the build plate not heating properly and ijts size being wrong.
    I faced the same issue. Where did you have to change this ?

Quote Originally Posted by dineshwong View Post
    I faced the same issue. Where did you have to change this ?
    I haven't been using makerware in a long time but from what I remember you have a scroll menu with all the printers either when you save your file or you go to settings

Hope this helps