I've been researching 3D printers for several weeks now trying to figure out which one to buy. I want to print ABS plastic and I am going to be making parts for some electronics projects I am working on. I am quite experienced in Sketchup. I've downloaded the software for several of the popular printers to make sure I could export an STL from sketchup and import it into the printing software. I seem to have that down pat.

The trouble is, I can't decide on a printer. When I read reviews on the internet just about every one of them are filled with complaints of people saying the product breaks often, support is terrible, etc. I have looked over and over at printers from Makerbot, Cube, Flashforge, Ultimaker, Lulzbot Taz, etc. I've watched tons of youtube videos on each.

I can't decide. So here's the criteria important to me:
  • Needs to be around $2,000 or less. Preferably less.
  • Must print ABS plastic well.
  • 1 extruder is fine, I have no need for 2.
  • Must be reliable
  • I do not care about speed, I won't be printing more than 1 item per day, usually.
  • I do not care about resolution, most of the stuff I'm printing will be flat surfaces with 90 degree angles. I won't be printing figurines, dolls, etc.
  • Larger print area is desirable.
  • I've already ruled out Cube Systems because I don't want to buy their expensive filament rolls.
  • Must work with Mac OS X or at least use an SD card so I can copy my files over to it.

So, some of you more experienced guys, can you give me a recommendation of what to buy?