Close

Getting started with modeling

Anyone have recommendations for reading/viewing material and/or projects that you would recommend for getting started modeling?

I've done a few small models using things like 123Design and TinkerCad, but nothing worth writing home about. I'd really like to spend some time on a few detailed, but graspable projects that will help me wrap my head around modeling.

I see so many awesome things on these forums and Thingiverse, and just don't have a clue how to get started.

Any help is appreciated!

I would suggest google sketchup, it's a very powerful straight forward modeling tool, it's free and you can install a plugin that will export stl files.

Blender is free and you can find all kinds of tutorials on their site and on youtube...

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    I also suggest google sketchup. It's great for quick models. All you do is draw the 2d shape and the 'pull' it off of the page to create depth. It's also the most intuitive 3d modeling software for beginners and is not overwhelming.

If you want expensive the argument can be made for both solidworks and inventor

csader,
    After having read your other posts, it seems to me that you are rushing this 3D printing thing, or else don't have anyone nearby to give you face to face advice.

Just remember that your printer will not run perfectly as soon as it is assembled. It will need some tweaking, and you need to build up some experience in operating it. I'd suggest that you download a very simple object like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:347507 from Thingiverse

and experiment with print settings until you get an idea of how our printer works. It doesn't matter if you use the end product or not. It is just a practice piece.

Before you start creating your own objects with some software, I suggest that you read this: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...mon-garden-elk It will shine some light on the creation process, and you can use it as a base from which you can develop your own creation process.

At this stage, I suggest that you don't go away from 123Design and Tinkercad. View the video tutorials and, if your mind works the way these programs work, then use them. That's a big IF. The object creation software that you use must suit the way your mind works. For example, I'm of the old school. My mind works by designing things in 2D as if I was drawing on a piece of paper. Then I use the software to create 3D versions of my 2D designs. However, your mind might be better suited to working in 3D from the beginning. Learn to create objects with the more simple software, then you can decide later on if you want to invest in the expensive programs, which are just simple ones with fancy bells and whistles.

In 3D printing you have to crawl before you can walk. The time it takes you to become an expert designer only depends on how much practice you do. Just the same as how you learn to play a musical instrument.

Old Man Emu

OME has a very vaild point. I picked up a printer because i got tired of waiting on shapeways for my designs. Ive had my printer a mere week ive printed mostly simple items that dont do much of anything my designs havent been touched yet... Im still working on getting abs to not warp...

Im getting better though and found some things so that i can make an enclosure easily on youmagine :-)