Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bstag i3v 12" build

I ordered a couple days before thanks giving. This forum and how involved the owner is, was the sole reason for purchasing this one that and it is HUGE.

So today it arrived. I have a couple other printers i use on a regular basis so this build is going to be slow and methodical. Here is what it looked like coming in the box and when first up packaged.

2014-12-15 15.13.49.jpg2014-12-15 15.17.41.jpg2014-12-15 15.19.00.jpg

Holy crap that is a big hot bed.

So After that i took it out to the garage and stained it old english.

2014-12-15 16.10.08.jpg2014-12-15 16.10.16.jpg

Next up will be drying time for the stain then maybe a sanding and a second coat.
    Well see what else I get done tonight if anything. If not more tomorrow.
    Last edited by bstag; 12-15-2014 at 07:29 PM.

That is huge! and I thought my 10" was pretty big. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the build.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Looks great bstag!

Quote Originally Posted by bstag View Post
    Next up will be drying time for the stain then maybe a sanding and a second coat.
    Well see what else I get done tonight if anything. If not more tomorrow.
    You probably know this already but, the wood parts are MDF with a very thin wood veneer, just wanted to mention this in case you didn't know. I'm sure it's thick enough to sand but I wouldn't want you to sand through the veneer!

Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    Looks great bstag!

You probably know this already but, the wood parts are MDF with a very thin wood veneer, just wanted to mention this in case you didn't know. I'm sure it's thick enough to sand but I wouldn't want you to sand through the veneer!
    Yea was a light sanding with a very fine grit. Then I blew off the dust. Looks like this after I was done.

2014-12-15 19.13.33.jpg

I will move further with the build tonight when I get home from work. I have some of the clear Xtreme dual v wheels on order. I will build with the normal ones first to so I can compare. I am also waiting on belt idlers. Everything else I need for mods has been printed or will happen after it is built or has arrived in the mail

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Looks really cool!

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Triangular supports go on the back of the machine, you have them on the front.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    Good catch. I'm sure this was just a photo prop-up. It does remind me of how I initially installed the Z motor mounts on the wrong side of the frame on my build. Glued-on no less. Thankfully I caught it before the glue had set too hard. That was the last time I let myself work on the printer into the wee hours of the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    Yeah that was just so it can be seen photo prop up basically. I have not put anything together for real yet.

Pictures of the build at the moment.
    2014-12-17 07.27.50.jpg2014-12-17 07.28.08.jpg

I ran out of M5 washers and nylon lock nuts. Which means I lost them some where while building. Since I have a supply of extras from various other builds I was able to find some replacements. Of all the things so far i worry about the size of the washers for the Eccentric spacers. I used a couple of the larger round but still M5 washers.

Here I have a 6x6 buildtak print surface from my normal printer on top of the hot bed for comparison of size.
    2014-12-17 07.28.52.jpg

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Looking good!

Man that bed is huge! Anyone try to cook some pancakes on it yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast